Scotland: Students get a head start with English

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 12:35:22 UTC 2007

Thu 30 Aug 2007 Students get a head start with English

STEVENSON College is helping the city's foreign students better adjust by
introducing more English language classes. In line with Scottish Executive
policy, the college has increased the number of English language courses
thanks to government funding, which they say helps foreigners integrate
better. Polish student Iwona Andrzejewska, 34, said she benefited from the
college's English language tuition.

She said: "I was looking for employment in Scotland so, when I saw the
English for Work and Training course, I thought it would be a good way of
improving my CV and my English." After the course, she was offered a job as
a personal assistant. Course head Michael Jenkins said: "While many English
courses in the UK focus on developing general English skills, [our courses
give] students an insight into the UK business sector."

*This article:* http://news.scotsman.com/education.cfm?id=1378452007

sponsor of
the list as to the veracity of a message's contents. Members who disagree
with a