Health Language, Inc. Partners with ActiveHealth Management to Manage Clinical Vocabulary Content

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 14:56:25 UTC 2007

Note to members of this list:  This message may seem far-fetched for a
listserv devoted to language policy issues, but to me it shows what
formidable obstacles late-modernizing languages are up against when
such resources exist for English, but not for other languages. This is
just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the kinds of resources
(databases, search engines, etc.) available for scientific and
technological work in English, but lacking for others.  (HS)
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

December 03, 2007 08:01 AM Eastern Time

Health Language, Inc. Partners with ActiveHealth Management to Manage
Clinical Vocabulary Content

AURORA, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Health Language, Inc.(R) (HLI), the
world's leading supplier of language engine technology for medical
vocabulary, today announced that ActiveHealth Management
(ActiveHealth(R)), a clinically based, technology-driven health
management services company, has selected HLI to deliver
administrative and clinical content management tools.

"As we expand the number of code sets and cross-walks that we need to
support, we must enhance our terminology services architecture. Just
managing the updates to ICD-9CM, CPT-4, HCPCS, LOINC and FDB-ETC
consumed critical resources," stated Frank C. Norman Jr., executive
vice president and chief information officer of ActiveHealth
Management. "By leveraging HLI's Language Engine(R) tool and
personnel, we are eliminating a lot of this work, enabling us to add
support for additional vocabularies as we continue to grow our
clinical health information exchange."

The HLI Language Engine provides a tool for payers, healthcare
organizations, IT vendors and government agencies to effectively
localize, update and disseminate over 70 controlled, licensed
healthcare terminologies, mappings and other terminology-related
content issued by a growing number of standards bodies. Standardized
medical terminology has been identified as a critical element to
ensuring advanced interoperability among various healthcare IT
applications; thus, contributing to improved patient safety, superior
clinician decision-making capabilities and rapid reimbursement.

"To maintain efficient and effective operations, ActiveHealth
Management requires the most up-to-date administrative codes and
clinical content as the company actively pursues new markets or
expands the scope of services offered to its customers," said George
Schwend, CEO and president of Health Language, Inc. "Health Language
meets ActiveHealth Management's business requirements today and is
positioned to handle its future needs with our expertise in managing
controlled vocabularies and related content along with our advanced
mapping and searching tools that are being integrated into its
clinical decision-support-powered health management solutions."

Health Language provides a software and services solution that
supports recurring updates and management of codes sets and medical
terminology on a scheduled basis. Additionally, Health Language's
technology supplies functionality to deliver consumer terminology
content and maps between code sets to support advanced initiatives in
care management, CMS medical payment policy edits, P4P, and
normalization of disparate databases. This mapping capability delivers
the foundation for future migration from ICD-9 CM to ICD-10 CM.
Furthermore, the extensive HLI library of APIs allows clients such as
ActiveHealth Management to integrate HLI Language Engine capabilities
into corporate applications using .NET, JAVA, EJB and Microsoft client
architectures.

About ActiveHealth Management

ActiveHealth Management is a clinically based, technology-driven
health management services company. Health plans, employers and
government payers rely on ActiveHealth's CareEngine(R) System Clinical
Decision Support, Disease Management, Health Management and Data
Analytics solutions to improve care for those most in need, prevent
medical errors, reduce hospitalizations and lower medical costs. Over
15.4 million people nationwide benefit from programs powered by
ActiveHealth's patented CareEngine(R) System. ActiveHealth is an
independent subsidiary of Aetna (NYSE: AET). Founded in 1998,
ActiveHealth is headquartered in New York City with locations in
Chantilly, Va., Chicago, Ill., Rolling Meadows, Ill., Greenwood
Village, Co., and Beachwood, Ohio. For more information, please visit
www.activehealth.net.

About Health Language Inc.

Aurora, Colo.-based Health Language, Inc.(R) (HLI) develops and
delivers state-of-the-art software solutions that automatically
incorporate medical vocabulary and coding standards into healthcare
information technology (HCIT) applications. HLI's Language Engine(R)
(LE(R)) allows centralized access to medical terminology standards and
generates mappings to create a common pool of standardized codes and
concepts that enhance patient safety, facilitate clinical outcomes
analysis and accelerate reimbursement. It also provides standards for
modeling, storing, updating and distributing information consistently
for interoperability between hospitals, regions and countries. LE
solutions seamlessly integrate with EMRs for clients such as Cerner,
McKesson, Misys, Partners Healthcare and Great Britain's National
Health Service. For more information, visit www.healthlanguage.com or
call 303.307.4400.

Amendola Communications for Health Language, Inc. Jan Shulman,
480-664-8412, ext. 12 jshulman at acmarketingpr.com

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20071203005301&newsLang=en