Dissertation: Ethnolinguistic Vitality and Language Maintenance in Second-generation Migrants: a study of Albanian and Egyptian pupils in Athens

Stan-sandy Anonby stan-sandy_anonby at sil.org
Wed Dec 5 00:22:54 UTC 2007

I'd be interested to hear how Nikolaos arrived at the conclusion that "the main reason for Arabic's maintenance was found to be the Egyptians' better social status ascribed by the Greek society as compared to the Albanians who have been suffering stigmatisation."
How do you find that out?

In dealing with small minority groups here in Brazil, I've found the opposite to be true. Although counter-intuitive, the indigenous groups with higher social status lose their languages more quickly. The very stigmatized groups tend to hang onto their languages for longer periods.

Stan Anonby