Boston: Pirandello Lyceum to assume management of Italian-American language program

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 14:33:50 UTC 2007

BOSTON, Dec. 10 /PRNewswire/ -- The Pirandello Lyceum announced today
that effective immediately, it will take over the operation of one of
Boston''s oldest and most significant Italian-American language
program, The Centro Promozione Cultura Italiana (CPCI), a North End
Institution for more than three decades. The decision to merge the
program came after several months of strategic discussion between The
Pirandello Lyceum''s president, Charlie Greco, and The CPCI founders
Rosario Cascio and Tino Valdesolo.
    "Our goal for this important project was to ensure not only that
The Pirandello Lyceum would add value to this wonderful program but to
take it to the next level, utilizing The Lyceum''s broad contacts with
the Italian- American community and our reputation for providing
world-class cultural and educational programs. The P.L. is a leader in
Massachusetts for providing annual scholarships to deserving high
school graduates. We believe that this program will allow us to reach
promising children even earlier in their educational cycle," said
Pirandello President, Charlie Greco.

    "We are so very proud to see the results of educating thousands of
children of all ages for more than 35 years culminate in this
significant merger of Italian-American "thought-leaders"; said both
Tino Valdesolo and Rosario Cascio. We plan to continue to play a very
active role in the program;" they pledged together.

    Mr. Casio is First Vice President of The Pirandello Lyceum, and
Mr. Valdesolo recently joined The Board of Governors.

    Mr. Carlo Cipollone, Educational Director with the Consulate
General of Italy in Boston, has monitored the incredible progress of
The CPCI for many years. "One of the most important means of
sustaining Italian culture is to encourage the study of the language.
Our goal is to provide as many opportunities as possible to learn
Italian by continuing to increase our contact with the
Italian-American community. We are fortunate to finally realize the
merger of these two organizations which can only further establish and
promote future collaboration between the Italian government and local
Italo-American associations."

    ABOUT THE CPCI

    The C.P.C.I. (Centro Promozione Cultura Italiana) has been
offering Italian language classes for children for the past 35 years.
Classes are held on Saturday (10:00-12:00 AM) at Saint John''s School
in the North End and run for 30 weeks (September-May).

    A yearly grant from the Italian Government makes classes very
affordable ($175) for the families who would like to take advantage of
this unique opportunity.

    The language program is primarily intended for children who do not
have any formal teaching of Italian in their regular school programs.
At the C.P.C.I., children are given the opportunity to develop a true
appreciation for the Italian culture while mastering basic oral and
written skills in Italian.

    ABOUT THE PIRANDELLO LYCEUM

    The Lyceum aims to encourage a greater understanding and
appreciation of Italian culture among all people. Its various programs
reflect the significant accomplishments of Italian thinkers in the
areas of art, science, culture and humanitarianism. Its activities and
purpose have been recognized with support from the Massachusetts
Council on the Arts and Humanities, the Massachusetts Foundation for
the Humanities and Public Policy, the Consulate General of Italy, and
private contributors. It is a non-profit tax-exempt organization.
www.pirandello.com

    Source: Centro Promozione Cultura Italiana, (CPCI)

-- http://usstock.jrj.com.cn/news/2007-12-11/000003036339.html