Arizona: Schools need tools to help English learners pass exit test

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 14:41:59 UTC 2007

Schools need tools to help English learners pass exit test

Angela Minnici and Dalia Zabala
Dec. 11, 2007 12:00 AM

Mr. Diaz (pseudonym), a high-school teacher, sits across from us and
recalls his experiences as an English-language learner: "I'm a product
of the sink-or-swim method. I was a bright kid. I came to this
country, and they gave me a thick social-studies book and a thick
dictionary. And all day long, translate that - that was my whole
education." He pauses, puts his head in his hands, and begins to
shake. "I'm a 54-year-old man, and I still get like this," he says,
trying to regain his composure. During a focus group with 15 parents,
a Spanish-speaking mother talks about the pressure her son feels after
trying unsuccessfully to pass the state's high-school exit exam. Her
eyes brimming with tears, she describes her efforts to console her son
when the exit exam and other school situations "instead of lifting
your boy, they finish him."

These are just two among the scores of stories we collected from
teachers, students, and parents during 15 months of research in
Arizona about the impact of the state exit exam requirement on
English-language learners. While 71 percent of all students in the
state pass all three subjects of the exit exam by end of 12th grade,
only 20 percent of English-language learners do so. Our research made
clear that preparing these students to pass the exam is an enormous
challenge - one that will not be met unless the state Legislature and
Department of Education stop arguing and give educators the resources
and support necessary to adequately educate ELLs.  ELLs come to school
with many different skills and needs. Some can read and write in their
native language, while others are illiterate or have limited literacy.
Some are immigrants who had a spotty or substandard education in their
home country. One high school we studied served refugee students from
many countries, legal residents whose education had in some cases been
interrupted by war and atrocities.

Our study found that schools' efforts to prepare ELLs for exit exams
are hampered by resource gaps - insufficient funding, overcrowding, a
lack of appropriate teaching materials, inadequate teacher
preparation, and difficulties recruiting and retaining highly
qualified teachers. For fifteen years, wrangling over the Flores case
decision regarding adequacy of programs for ELLs has stalled momentum
in addressing these resource gaps. We understand why Arizonans are
concerned about immigration issues. However, the majority of
English-language learners are citizens. As the percentage of ELLs in
Arizona public schools rises (right now it's 15 percent), the state's
decisions about how to educate these students will have serious
implications for the future of Arizona.

We believe that a combination of accountability and high expectations
is needed, along with sufficient resources and support for school
districts. Currently, the state has emphasized the accountability part
of the equation but, with funding of just $340 per ELL (limited to
only two years), has shortchanged the resources part. We urge the
residents of Arizona, the Legislature, and the state Department of
Education to acknowledge the challenges involved in preparing ELLs to
pass the exit exam and to provide educators with the tools needed to
do this tough job.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/opinions/articles/1211minnici11.html#