India: Battle of the Bodo language

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 14:41:32 UTC 2007

Battle of the Bodo language

Pranjal Baruah

12 December 2007, Wednesday

GIVEN THE glory of Assam's history, there is need to pay heed to the
Bodos the oldest inhabitants of the region. Generations of Bodos
survive massive odds with their resilience and their innate knowledge
of horticulture. The tribal community, one of largest minorities in
Assam has a unique culture and is full of self esteem. But here we are
not discussing the rituals or their generic behavior, rather we are
dealing with the most neglected part of this community, their voice,
their manner of expression and their language, the Bodo or the Boro
language.

The Bodo language, pronounced as Bo-Ro, a major language of the Bodo
group, comes under the Assam-Burmese group of languages. It is said to
have branched off from the Tibeto-Burman family of languages and is
spoken by the denizens of the north-eastern state of Assam. In fact,
the Bodo language happens to be amongst the official languages here
and is one of the 22 scheduled languages provided a special
constitutional status in India.

A highpoint in the history of the Bodo language is the socio-political
movement that was launched by local Boro organizations, from 1913
onwards. Due to their relentless effort, this language was finally
introduced as the medium of instruction in the primary schools in Bodo
dominated areas in 1963. In present times, the language also serves as
a medium of instruction up to the secondary level in educational
institutions. Recently, it was included as a part of the post graduate
course in the University of Guwahati. The Bodo language boats of a
rich literature, comprising of numerous famous books on poetry, drama,
short story, novel, biography, travelogue, children's literature among
others. The last couple of decades have been especially beneficial for
the evolution of Bodo literature as its development received due
attention from all corners. The Devanagri script is officially used to
write the Bodo language, although it also has a long history of using
the Roman script. Many Bodo intellectuals suggest that this language
originally used the Deodhai script, which is now lost.

A pioneering effort in preserving and popularizing Bodo literature is
being played by Asam Sahitya Sabha, the biggest literary body in
Eastern India. In fact, this organization has been playing a crucial
role in coordinating efforts of Bodo poets, scholars and authors, by
introducing the local people to their works. They hold a congregation
every year, attended by numerous iconic literary people from far and
near in collaboration with Bodo Sahitya Sabha. Though the locals have
already accepted this language as a part and parcel of their
socio-economic communication but the Total Literacy 'Movement'
constituted by the Indian Government has not helped the language to
grow to its possible heights. Though the policy makers have always
talked big regarding issues relating to the linguistic minorities but
the actual scenario of the Bodo language is dismal.

"We are always deprived and taken for granted in everything and need
to fight for our rights but now we plan to accelerate in our own way
in a democratic manner," says a frustrated Lakkhi Basumatary, an
educationist in the medium. He added that the government has done
precious little for the upliftment of their language besides promoting
a few writers. Anyone can find a few schools using the Bodo language
as a teaching medium in the BTAD areas but is that all to a language
for it to enrich the literary world? asked Upen Basumatary, a Bodo
language writer who also points out the lack of publishers and their
lack of interest in publishing books in the language. Many of our
students have not got their books. And can anybody answer a community
which is deprived of its language to read for itself and to others, or
can be defined a community with no educational status, says Basumatary
who is also a member of Bodo Sahitya Sabha.

To describe the importance, to make the common man aware of their
linguistic backwardness, to make it reach out to all and see to its
proper establishment, the All Bodo Student Association held a bicycle
rally with 400 supporters last month. This rally flagged off by former
Indian Ambassador Upen Boro is to spread the message of quality
education among the masses in interior areas. The rally will cover all
the districts of Asom with a view to pressing for quality education to
face the rising challenges under the rapidly advancing global trend.
ABSU says it is necessary to press for quality education among the
masses which would usher a new revolution among the student community.
The aim is for quality education for all round development of society.
The president of the ABSU Rwugwr Narzary said education was the only
means to usher in development. He said the ABSU's mission is quality
education programmes, accepting it as a challenge and overcoming
hurdles.

"It is a good and positive way of looking at things and we need it
now. We can hope for good things for our community and its medium,
particularly the language,"says Kailash Swarguari, a student who has
not got his books given its lack of availability. Basumatary, member
Bodo Sahitya Sabha says for a long time the constitutional policies
are lining the pockets of many rather than need.
This Devanagiri script has been scheduled as a tribal language by a
Presidential Order published in the Gazette of India, Part II, Section
1, dated August 13, 1960. And it has been many decades that efforts
are on by Bodo linguists for the language to be read and to be
expressed in original works of literature. But the socio political
system is again playing tricks with the tribal people who have gone
through a lot of political conflict to gain their present structure
and recognition.

http://www.merinews.com/catFull.jsp?articleID=128494