Arizona: Apache language in home remains important for overall retention

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 20:43:40 UTC 2007

Forwarded From edling at lists.sis.utsa.edu

Arizona Silver Belt

Apache language in home remains important for overall retention Last
week I wrote about our Community Language Survey and what it shows
about the rate of decline in people speaking Apache. This week I want
to write about why. What did the survey reveal about people's reasons
for not speaking Apache? The answers involve a "vicious cycle" and a
language program in Hawaii.
The vicious cycle is this: people aren't learning Apache because they
don't hear it at home, and they don't hear it at home because people
aren't learning it.

Full story:

http://www.silverbelt.com/articles/2007/12/26/apache_moccasin/apache04.txt