Fantastic Four go Bilingual

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Sat Dec 29 14:34:44 UTC 2007

Fantastic Four Go Bilingual

Marvel Comics will release a special issue of the Fantastic Four on
Friday. The story, Isla de la Muerte, above, will be available in English
and Spanish, a first for a major American comic-book publisher. Hispanics
dont only mark the fastest-growing segment of the population but also one
of our fastest-rising readership segments," Joe Quesada, the editor in
chief of Marvel, said in a statement. He added: With this in mind, we felt
it was an ideal time to develop a special title for the Hispanic audience
that would be available in multiple languages and spotlight the culture as
well. In the story the superhero quartet visits Puerto Rico  from Old San
Juan to the rain forest  and battles chupacabras, mysterious creatures
that bite and drain the blood from small animals. It was very fun to
write, said Tom Beland, the cartoonist behind the story. GEORGE GENE
GUSTINES

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/28/arts/28arts.html?_r=1&oref=slogin