North Carolina: Beauford County moves to prohibit non-English signs

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Sun Feb 18 14:00:27 UTC 2007

 Posted on Sat, Feb. 17, 2007

N.C. county moves to prohibit non-English signs

By Jerry Allegood
MCCLATCHY NEWSPAPERS

WASHINGTON, N.C. - In what supporters call a move against bilingualism,
the Beaufort County (N.C.) Commissioners have ordered the removal of
non-English signs and informational material from offices and property
under county jurisdiction. The English-only policy, approved last week by
a 6 to 1 vote, does not apply to programs mandated by the state and
federal governments, including health and social services. But supporters
said it would indicate local resolve to stop the weakening of English as a
result of legal and illegal immigration. "I'm concerned about the drift
toward the nation becoming bilingual," said Hood L. Richardson, a
commissioner who proposed the local measure. "We need to stop that."

Richardson said the policy prohibits signs or posters in any foreign
language, but acknowledged that Spanish was a particular target. He said
details of how and where the policy would be enforced are still being
worked out. Spokesmen for the N.C. League of Municipalities and the N.C.
Association of County Commissioners said they were not aware of any other
cities, counties or towns in the state that have banned foreign language
materials. Beaufort County, located about 125 miles east of Raleigh, is
predominantly rural and includes one of the world's largest phosphate
mines. The county seat of Washington, with about 9,800 residents,
historically looked to the Pamlico River for fishing and trade but in
recent years has benefited from the surge in coastal development.

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, about 3.8 percent of Beaufort
County's 46,000 residents are of Hispanic or Latino origin. The bureau
also said about 4.7 percent of those over five years of age speak a
language other than English at home. Statewide, about 6.4 percent of
residents are of Hispanic or Latin origin, and 8 percent of those over
five are non English speaking. Ed Booth, the only commissioner to vote
against the English-only policy, said people who come to America from
other countries should be given opportunities to succeed. He said
immigrants are "part of our country. You might as well get used to it."
"To me, it's shameful," Booth said of the board action. "It's
embarrassing."

Booth said he had received widespread support for his vote against the
measure. Richardson, by contrast, said he had not received criticism for
his stance. He said his views were well-known to constituents. "I've got
enough of a reputation as a conservative that I don't hear from liberals,"
he said.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/news/nation/16721494.htm