Move to use Welsh in everyday life

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Sun Feb 18 14:15:46 UTC 2007

Move to use Welsh in everyday life
16/2/2007

The Welsh Assembly Government Welsh Language Scheme has been approved by
the Welsh Language Board.

The Welsh Language Scheme sets out how the Assembly Government will
continue to deliver Welsh language and bilingual services to the public
and its customers and increase its capability to deliver those services.
It will also ensures that departments throughout the Assembly Government
treat both Welsh and English languages on a basis of equality.

In a written statement to Plenary, Alun Pugh, Minister for Culture, Welsh
Language and Sport said:

"I am pleased to announce that the Welsh Language Board approved the Welsh
Assembly Government revised Welsh Language Scheme on 22 December 2006

"This Scheme demonstrates our continuing commitment to the Welsh language.
It sets out how the Assembly Government will deliver bilingual services to
the public we serve and how we will reflect the Welsh language in our
policies.

"We want to put the citizen at the centre and provide high quality
services, which are flexible and responsive to people's needs. Providing
services bilingually is an integral part of delivering quality services.

"As well as providing services bilingually, we are also committed to using
the Welsh language across all policy areas. We fully recognise the
important strategic and influential role of the Assembly Government and we
will continue to ensure that the Welsh language is mainstreamed in all
that we do."

Meri Huws, Chair of the Welsh Language Board, said:

"This scheme sets out a clear and far-reaching vision and sets a high
standard for future Welsh language schemes to follow. It has the potential
to make a real difference to the Government's work.

"We look forward to seeing the scheme being implemented, so that
appropriate consideration can be given to the Welsh language in every
policy field during the Assembly's next term.

"In line with Iaith Pawb, the Assembly Government's Welsh Language Action
Plan for a bilingual Wales to provide opportunities for people to use
Welsh in everyday life, the Assembly Government will encourage all our
customers to engage with our services in Welsh."

In order to increase the use of Welsh in the workplace, the Assembly
Government has also launched an internal policy statement, confirming that
both the Welsh and English languages are internal working languages of the
Welsh Assembly Government.

Over the next four years the Assembly Government will be working to
enhance its ability and capacity to provide more services externally
bilingually.

http://www.newswales.co.uk/?section=Culture&F=1&id=10756