UK: MP's English class anger

Damien Hall halldj at babel.ling.upenn.edu
Thu Jan 18 09:10:21 UTC 2007

I'm following with interest this debate about UK funding for
English-as-a-foreign-language classes;  all the more so via LGPOLICY-L because,
not being in England, it's not as easy for me to scan the UK press.  But perhaps
I am too English;  when I saw this subject-line, I mis-parsed it in what you
might call a typically English way by reading it as being about an MP who was
angry about the social-class-obsessed English society and the opportunities
thus denied to his foreign constituents, or something like that.

Yours neutrally

Damien Hall