Ebonics: The Subject Still Stirs Strong Feelings

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 00:49:46 UTC 2007

This goes back even further, I think; Bourdieu shows how when public
education finally got going on a national scale in the 1880's, the goal of
teachers became one of replacing patois (which was an inherently deficient
linguistic system) with standard French, so that  the famous 'lucidity,
clarity and logic" of the French language could then restructure the minds
of young French persons.

I quote from an article of mine on the subject:

"*Bourdieu and Whorf*:  It is also interesting to note that Bourdieu
specifically discerns a kind of folk-Whorfian (Mertz 1982) world-view at
work in the imposition and functioning of this model. Teachers in French
schools are on the front lines, as it were, working constantly to
``inculcate a clear faculty of expression and of each emotion," i.e. through
language. They work to replace the *patois*, which is nothing but a jumble
of confusion, with standard French, itself the only ``clear and fixed" thing
that deserves to be in their heads, and trying to get them to perceive and
feel things in the same way. The work of the teacher is ``to erect the
common conscience of the nation." Bourdieu calls this a Whorfian or
Humboldtian theory of language, which sees scholarly action as
``intellectual and moral integration." (Bourdieu *op cit.*p.32.) Teaching
language, therefore, is a kind of mind control;' instilling the standard
language in the heads of children will reprogram them to think clearly."

(From a paper entitled "French Language Policy: Centrism, Orwellian
dirigisme, or Economic Determinism?" in a volume edited by Li Wei, Jean-Marc
Dewaele, and Alex Housen, entitled *Opportunities and Challenges of
Bilingualism.* published in *Contributions to the Sociology of Language.(87)
* 2002, pp. 89-104. On-line at:
http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/~haroldfs/540/handouts/french/dirigism/DIRIGISM.html

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com