What the heck is an "official" language?

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 17:38:09 UTC 2007

One of the reasons I sent out the original message about "official" English
is that there is no clear definition anywhere that defines what "official"
language means, or implies. Some countries have "national" languages that
are perhaps more symbolic, but my whole approach to language policy is that
officialization often doesn't matter, i.e. language policy usually consists
of "official/written/overt
/de jure/top-down/explicit" policy as well as "unofficial/unwritten/
covert/de facto/grass-roots/implicit" aspects.  As Dennis Baron notes, we
seem to have achieved dominance in English without ever officializing it.

I used to try to make an example of how implicit expectations about the use
of English in the U.S., especially in education, were almost never spelled
out, by walking into a classroom and holding forth in French for a while,
until someone objected.  Then I'd ask what the official language of the
university was, to which they had no answer, except that the
*expectation*was that lectures would be in English.

So I'm really not afraid about officialization of English, because if I know
our American legislators, they'll pass legislation that has absolutely no
provisions for implementation, funding, enforcement, evaluation, or any
other necessary factors to make it actually *work*. Officializaton of
English in the US would be largely *symbolic*; in fact, interest in
officialization is found mostly in small rural towns where everybody already
speaks English.  Calls for officialization are symbolic ways to express ones
patriotism, ones value system, and perhaps also subtly express racism, i;e.
it's a *proxy *for xenophobia.  And it's cheap, too--doesn't cost much for a
small town to officialization English, and it may get somebody some votes in
the next election.

Hal Schiffman

--

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com