LINGUIST & Endangered Languages: SILS & More

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Sat Mar 24 13:10:15 UTC 2007

LINGUIST & Endangered Languages: SILS & More

Date: 23-Mar-2007
From: linguist <linguistlinguistlist.org>

LINGUIST & Endangered Languages: SILS & More

Dear Subscribers, The groundbreaking work that LINGUIST accomplished
through the E-MELD grant on Endangered Language documentation has led to
the opportunity for us to co-sponsor the 14th Annual Stabilizing
Indigenous Languages Symposium (SILS) with the Saginaw Chippewa Tribal
Nation. Held in Mount Pleasant, Michigan from June 1-3, 2007, this year's
symposium features the theme, "Working Together, We Can Bring Back the
Language: How Technology Can Make it Happen." For more information, please
consult our page:  http://linguistlist.org/sils/ I was chosen as team
leader at LINGUIST to build the website and help with the organization of
all aspects of the workshop. I am truly interested in this conference not
only because I get to learn web design, but also because I truly believe
in such joint efforts to bring linguists and tribal people together to
save languages and cultures. This year's 14th annual SILS symposium is
expected to again gather together a large number of language instructors,
technology experts and linguists to share the work and dreams of
endangered language communities all over the world.  This conference is
just one aspect of The LINGUIST List's involvement in endangered
languages. The School of Best Practices (SOBP) continues to evolve from
the E-MELD workshops, presenting the best ways to digitize your linguistic
materials to prevent language data obsolescence. The SOBP is also home to
eleven case studies of digitization of endangered languages data. LINGUIST
even hosts The Society for the Study of the Indigenous Languages of the
Americas (SSILA) on its site.  From SILS to SSILA, LINGUIST is committed
to serving the linguistics community by hosting such conferences and by
making the information from them available to all. We look forward to
serving you in even more ways and to hearing from you during Fund Drive
2007. Thank you.  Sincerely, Bethany Townsend, LINGUIST Editor

http://linguistlist.org/issues/18/18-892.html