New map showing signatories to European Charter on linguistic minorities

Anthea Fraser Gupta A.F.Gupta at leeds.ac.uk
Sat May 19 15:29:09 UTC 2007

Let's not forget that this protects only 'indigenous' linguistic minorities, and not 'immigrant' linguistic minorities.

You can read about this policy at:
http://ec.europa.eu/education/policies/lang/languages/langmin/regmin_en.html

and see the list of the languages identified as 'regional and minority languages' at:
http://ec.europa.eu/education/policies/lang/languages/langmin/euromosaic/index_en.html

I'm not against 'regional and minority languages', but I do think speakers of widely spoken 'immigrant' languages (awful expression) deserve rights too. I would certainly argue (indeed, have argued) that in the UK, for example, the linguistic minority who speak Urdu have a better case for protection than those who speak Cornish.

Anthea

Anthea Fraser Gupta (Dr)
School of English, University of Leeds, LS2 9JT <www.leeds.ac.uk/english/staff/afg>
NB: Reply to a.f.gupta at leeds.ac.uk