Graduate applications sought at University of Pittsburgh in Linguistic Anthropology

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 19:46:22 UTC 2007

Forwarded from another list:

If you have talented undergraduate students who are considering
applying to graduate school in the area of linguistic anthropology, I
would like to draw your attention to our graduate program in
anthropology at University of Pittsburgh. We are seeking new
high-quality Ph.D. students in the area of linguistic anthropology.

Our program is selective in admissions, but for all admitted students
we offer a full funding package and ample opportunities to gain
teaching experience. Pittsburgh itself has been rated America's Most
Livable City.

I am a linguistic anthropologist in a tenure-track position who works
in the geographical area of Western Europe on Scottish Gaelic language
shift and revitalization, standard language ideologies, and language,
ethnicity and nationalism. Other Anthropology faculty members have
additional strengths in Europe; Latin America; Asia and the Pacific;
ethnicity, nationalism & the state; and medical anthropology. We have
a joint MPH/PhD program with the Pitt School of Public Health. Pitt
also has very strong area studies centers for Latin America, Western
Europe and the European Union, Russia and Eastern Europe, and Asia and
the Pacific. My own offerings include graduate-level courses on
Language, Ethnicity & Nationalism, Endangered Languages, and Language,
Identity & Power.  We have a linguistic anthropology core course for
graduate students, and other colleagues offering linganth-related
courses include Terry Kaufman (Anthropology) and Scott Kiesling
(Linguistics).

If your student is interested in a campus visit, please have them
contact me (emcewan at pitt.edu) and our graduate secretary, Phyllis
Deasy (pdeasy at pitt.edu). Our department website with application
information is http://www.pitt.edu/~pittanth/.

Sincerely,