How a few English words can help to keep our Welsh language alive

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 15:24:30 UTC 2007

Forwarded From edling at lists.sis.utsa.edu

icWales

How a few English words can help to keep our Welsh language alive

WELSH speakers slipping English into their speech should not feel guilty
because it keeps the language alive, language campaigners and academics said
yesterday. Fears that Welsh is being watered down by English are unfounded,
they said. The comments coincided with the start of a major new research
project into bilingualism in Wales. Experts at Bangor University's new
Economic and Social Research Council's Centre for Research on Bilingualism,
said the fact that a language was constantly changing proved it was alive.
Centre director Professor Margaret Deuchar, who has just started a study
into how bilingual people mix their languages, said, "There are people who
are very purist. "There is a taboo on swapping about in languages in
teaching and in society.

Full story:

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/news/wales-news/2007/11/24/how-a-few-english-words-can-help-to-keep-our-welsh-language-alive-91466-20153846/

sponsor of
the list as to the veracity of a message's contents. Members who disagree
with a