Nigeria: Stakeholders Fault Moves to Merge NFLV With Unilag

Don Osborn dzo at bisharat.net
Fri Oct 5 15:04:26 UTC 2007

Much has been written about "English fever" - are we witness also to
"official language mania"?  Not just in Nigeria but in the US, etc., with
different aims but questionable logic behnd the need for and impact of such
legislation.

In the case  of Nigeria, I'll have to look for sources on this effort to
make French the second official language of Nigeria, what the objectives are
and discourse about it contains. A lot of questions about this, as well as
juxtapositions in policy/planning approaches with other countries seeking to
promote learning of international languages. I'll leave it there for now,
but would be interested to hear of any other opinions or resources.

TIA.  Don