George Bush's Latest Language Gaffe Occurs In Front Of English Teachers

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 12:39:28 UTC 2007

George Bush's Latest Language Gaffe Occurs In Front Of English Teachers
Thursday September 27, 2007

CityNews.ca Staff

Oops, he did it again! No, this has nothing to do with Britney Spears
or her ongoing personal and professional woes. It's the latest episode
of malapropism, starring that master mangler of the English language,
U.S. President George. W. Bush. The Commander-in-Chief was at an event
with school kids in New York City Wednesday. It was a photo op
designed to show the importance of education. And that's where his
latest tongue twisting emerged. Talking about his education policy,
Bush boldly told the crowd - which included some horrified English
teachers - that "childrens do learn."

"As yesterday's positive report card shows, childrens do learn when
standards are high and results are measured," he made clear. It's
worth noting that when the official transcript of the event was issued
by the White House, the mistake had been corrected. It's not the first
time the U.S. leader has left the grammar police grimacing. During his
first run for the Oval Office, Bush famously asked "Is our children
learning?"

If the query he posed on Wednesday is any indication, the answer
appears to be definitely not.

Bush is famous for his use - or abuse - of the mother tongue. His most
recent slips came during a summit in Australia earlier this month. But
here are just a few other examples from 2007:

"This process has been drug out a long time, which says to me it's political."

"The people of Bulgaria ought to be proud of the achievements that
they have achieved."

"Give my chance a plan to work."

One of my concerns is that the health care not be as good as it can
possibly be."

"And my concern, David, is several."

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_15187.aspx