Citizens of Former Soviet Republics View the Russian Language as a Remnant of the Soviet Union

Robert Lawless robert.lawless at wichita.edu
Wed Apr 2 15:06:58 UTC 2008

I used to speak an almost fluent Russian, and I still retain a bit of it.
Over the recent years I've come into contact with people from former
non-Russian Soviet republics and also Finland and Poland (where knowledge
of Russian is widespread). I have in the past (I've stop doing it) tried a
little Russian with them. Their first response was often one of seeming to
be insulted that I would think they knew Russian, next they denied that
they knew Russian, and lastly (after I had painfully established some
rapport) a grudging conversation in Russian. At any rate, I certainly and
almost inevitably encountered hostility when using Russian with these
people. Robert.