Judge puts English only on voter forms

Dennis Baron debaron at uiuc.edu
Fri Apr 4 16:50:06 UTC 2008

 From the Des Moines Register:

April 4, 2008

Judge puts English only on voter forms

By WILLIAM PETROSKI and NIGEL DUARA
REGISTER STAFF WRITERs

A Polk County judge has ordered Iowa Secretary of State Michael Mauro
to stop using languages other than English in the state's official
voter registration forms (download the PDF).

District Judge Douglas Staskal ruled in favor of U.S. Rep. Steve
King, an Iowa Republican who sued state officials last year,
contending they were violating the state's English-language law. He
brought the suit against Gov. Chet Culver, who previously served as
secretary of state, and Mauro, contending they had placed illegal
voting forms on the secretary of state's Web site.

The dispute began shortly before Election Day in 2006, when King
demanded that Culver remove voting information in languages other
than English from the Web site. The site offered information in
Spanish, Laotian, Bosnian and Vietnamese.

Non-English voter forms were removed from the state's Web site late
Thursday afternoon.

King, a former state senator, said the materials were illegal because
under an English-language law authored by King and signed by
Democratic Gov. Tom Vilsack in 2002, all official government
communications must be in English.

Culver had said the English-language law included a provision that
allows for "any language usage required by or necessary to secure the
rights guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States
of America, or the Constitution of the state of Iowa."

Attorney General Tom Miller, a Democrat, then concluded Culver had
authority to offer the forms in foreign languages.

Staskal, in a ruling dated March 31, wrote that a state
administrative rule permitting the use of other languages on official
voter registration forms "plainly conflicts" with the 2002 statute.
He called the rule "an arbitrary act in violation of law" and
declared it "void in its current form as an improper exercise of
agency power."

Mauro, a Democrat, said Thursday he respected Staskal's ruling, but
that he was "deeply disappointed."

"When we came into office here, we believed that the information out
there was correct, and that we were providing a service to the
public, making it more convenient to participate," Mauro said. "I
have never seen anything wrong with participation."

Culver, a Democrat, told reporters Thursday he will allow Mauro and
Miller to decide whether an appeal should be filed. "I think we'll
have to let the judicial process work itself out here," Culver said.

Miller said he was analyzing Staskal's ruling and he would explore an
appeal to the Iowa Supreme Court or consider other action consistent
with the decision.

"Our view is that although the Iowa English Language Reaffirmation
Act requires all official forms to be in English, it does not
prohibit government officials from providing materials in other
languages as well," Miller said. "We argued that position to the
District Court. This principle can be particularly important in the
area of voting rights of citizens."

King issued a statement praising Staskal's decision. "English is our
official language. The English language unites us as a state and as a
nation. ... I believe that, and I am thankful that our official
English law has been upheld."

The ruling will have a chilling effect on voter registration for
those whose first language isn't English, said Des Moines immigration
attorney Lori Chesser.

"It definitely is creating a barrier for them to voting," Chesser
said. "I don't know how big of an effect that will be, but I think
that will fall predominantly on people with less financial means."

The ruling could be taken as a sign against Spanish-speakers'
inclusion in every facet of government, said Jorge Espejel, the
Mexican consul in Omaha.

"It's going to be affecting everything," Espejel said. "I think it's
not a good decision for us. As you know, for the people who have
become a U.S. citizen, it's better to know what they're signing in
their own language. ... They are going to be afraid. It's not going
to be easy for them."

Thom Bui said he's been teaching a voting class for older Vietnamese
citizens in Des Moines. Part of the class includes his translation of
voting forms from English to Vietnamese. The ruling basically
nullifies those classes, said Bui, owner of Des Moines Asian &
Latinos Foods, 1623 Sixth Ave.

"There's some older folks, they like to vote but the problem is they
don't know the language," Bui said. "Reading, they don't even know
sometimes. That's how we help them out."

Craig Halverson of Griswold, state director of the Iowa Minuteman
Civil Defense Corps, which opposes illegal immigration, said he was
elated by the judge's decision.

"Our country has been English language all along. ... When I went to
Greece, I learned how to speak Greek. But I am here, so I speak
English. This shows that we still have some judges who will represent
the American people," Halverson said.

Reporter Jennifer Jacobs contributed to this article.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080404/
NEWS10/804040386#pluckcomments
-----

Dennis Baron