"Finland's Sami Fear Assimilation"

sociolingo sociolingo at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 12:31:29 UTC 2008

Don's post led me to trying to find a video I used as a teaching tool in
sociolinguistics classes. I found the following excellent videos on YouTube
from Galdu.org: The first one is particularly good on language issues. I've
also included a few of other sources I found which you may find useful.
Regards,
Dr Maggie Canvin
SIL
videos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkG7psgdl1o We are the Sámi. Author:
galdu.org Resource Centre for the Rights of Indigenous Peoples and Harry
Johansen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyspUNQ-l70&feature=related We are
the Sámi introduction: Author: galdu.org Resource Centre for the Rights of
Indigenous Peoples and Harry Johansen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN-Guz5Zlg4&feature=related We are the Sámi.
Author: galdu.org Resource Centre for the Rights of Indigenous Peoples and
Harry Johansen   Infopdf file of Multilingual matters article:
*The* Sami *Language*(s), Maintenance and
Intellectualisation<http://msxml.infospace.com/prodege.feed.jars/clickit/search?r_aid=629DA46E6CEF448F902A9B05EAA3E350&r_eop=3&r_sacop=3&r_scoid=239171&r_spf=0&r_cop=main-title&r_snpp=3&r_spp=0&qqn=G-3Xn6Y%2B&r_coid=239138&rawto=http://www.multilingual-matters.net/cilp/003/0028/cilp0030028.pdf>Tove
Bull
University of Tromsø, Norway
This article gives an overview of the current sociolinguistic situation of
the Sámi
language(s) in Northern Scandinavia, focusing on the situation in North
Norway in
particular.After a brief description of the historical development, the
article discusses
issues, problems and practises relating to Sámi language politics and
planning. Active
and conscious Sámi language planning is a rather novel activity; since Sámi
as a school
language and an official language has only existedfor a fewdecades.The
history of the
language as a regularly and frequently used written medium is indeed very
short.
Consequently, planning for the language to occupy a place in the
intellectual life of the Sámi speech community is an even more novel
activity.
http://www.multilingual-matters.net/cilp/003/0028/cilp0030028.pdf

http://www.samitour.no/english/9-1-historie.html
This site has a good introduction to the history of the Sami including a
good section on language.

Amoc is rapping the Sámi language onto the map ? Virtual
Finland<http://msxml.infospace.com/prodege.feed.jars/clickit/search?r_aid=B349ACD61999465CAAFF9AFFE2BCA150&r_eop=7&r_sacop=10&r_scoid=239171&r_spf=0&r_cop=main-title&r_snpp=10&r_spp=0&qqn=1hf%27lmnA&r_coid=239138&rawto=http://virtual.finland.fi/netcomm/news/showarticle.asp?intNWSAID=55407>

Rap artist Amoc alias Mikkal Morottaja, 21, who is an *Inari* Sámi, ... He
was, however, educated at school in the *Inari* Sámi language and took his
http://virtual.finland.fi/netcomm/news/showarticle.asp?intNWSAID=55407<http://msxml.infospace.com/prodege.feed.jars/clickit/search?r_aid=B349ACD61999465CAAFF9AFFE2BCA150&r_eop=7&r_sacop=10&r_scoid=239171&r_spf=0&r_cop=main-title&r_snpp=10&r_spp=0&qqn=1hf%27lmnA&r_coid=239138&rawto=http://virtual.finland.fi/netcomm/news/showarticle.asp?intNWSAID=55407>

Inari Sami<http://msxml.infospace.com/prodege.feed.jars/clickit/search?r_aid=B349ACD61999465CAAFF9AFFE2BCA150&r_eop=3&r_sacop=5&r_scoid=239171&r_spf=0&r_cop=main-title&r_snpp=5&r_spp=0&qqn=08ImV%21%27b&r_coid=239138&rawto=http://www.ling.canterbury.ac.nz/personal/toivonen/sami/>

*Inari* Sami (*Saami*, Sámi, Lappish, Lapp) is spoken by 300-400 people who
live around Lake *Inari* in Lapland in Northern Finland. *Inari* Sami is one
of the Sami ...
http://www.ling.canterbury.ac.nz/personal/toivonen/sami/<http://msxml.infospace.com/prodege.feed.jars/clickit/search?r_aid=B349ACD61999465CAAFF9AFFE2BCA150&r_eop=3&r_sacop=5&r_scoid=239171&r_spf=0&r_cop=main-title&r_snpp=5&r_spp=0&qqn=08ImV%21%27b&r_coid=239138&rawto=http://www.ling.canterbury.ac.nz/personal/toivonen/sami/>