Singapore: Dialects spark new bonding

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 13:08:31 UTC 2008

Dialects spark new bonding
Mother tongues get fresh lease of life in schools

Lin Yanqin
yanqin at mediacorp.com.sg

FOR years, English and officially-termed "Mother Tongues" ruled the
classrooms, while dialects — such as Hokkien or Hakka — languished at
home, in private conversations, perhaps used occasionally when
communicating with one's elderly grandparents and neighbours. Such was
the result of Singapore's decades-old policy of bilingualism —
launched in 1966 — where dialects were banned from use on radio and
television programmes, and the "Speak Mandarin" campaign was born to
create a new generation of Singaporean-Chinese who speak a common
second language: Mandarin. But with dialects in danger of becoming a
lost art and a younger generation unable to communicate with their
grandparents, it looks like the time has come to break the long-time
taboo against dialects and start introducing it in schools.
.
In fact, dialects are no longer being kept away from schools when once
upon a time, it was felt that they impeded the learning of Mandarin —
and are showing up in the form of enrichment modules and electives. It
was Member of Parliament (MP) Baey Yam Keng who floated the idea of
teaching dialects as a third language during the Budget debates in
March. Schools, he said then, could play a bigger role in educating
the youth about cultures he feared would someday "become an artefact
in a museum". Yesterday, he told Today: "I just think it's a waste if
we don't make some effort to preserve dialects. They are a big part of
Chinese culture, so to understand our own culture and roots and to
promote it to other racial groups, you have to bring in dialects."
.
According to the Chinese Learning Lab chief executive Chua Chee Lay,
who is writing a book on the impact of Singapore's language policy,
dialects were "a big problem" for the Government in the '50s and '60s.
"There was no common language, so communication was a problem. And
there were also gangs — people were divided because of language
ideology," said Dr Chua. To "clean up the mess", the "Speak Mandarin"
campaign was introduced in 1979. "You can say it has been successful,
because dialects are a dying language in Singapore," he said. "But
with the creation of a common language, dialects are no longer a
threat." Agreeing, Mr Baey said: "A lot of youths nowadays might not
even know what dialect groups they are from. I don't see a danger of
baggage from the past reappearing." Some schools have started
introducing aspects of traditional Chinese culture, including
dialects, as electives and enrichment modules for their students.
.
Such modules could be one-off, special activities for students, or
yearly modules conducted over a week. At SAP school Dunman High,
third-year students take a module called "Pop Song Culture", where
students are introduced to dialect pop songs in the 70s and 80s to
learn about pop culture in different dialect groups. They also take an
elective to the different flavours and food cultures from various
dialect groups.
.
Even so, vice-principal Low Joo Hong was cautious about departing from
the long-time emphasis on bilingualism. "I think it is a sensitive
issue, because on one hand you want students to keep their roots, but
you don't want to overplay dialects because in our history, it has
become an issue when people become over-assertive about their own
identity," he said. And even as some argue that there is value in
introducing dialects in schools as an enrichment activity, others
question the value of doing so and whether it will interfere with
learning Mandarin.
.
"Culturally, I see its importance, but in the overall scheme of
things, is it useful," asked MP Chan Soo Sen. "I would leave it the
student – if a student wants to take, then he should not be denied the
opportunity," he added.
.
Teochew Poit Ip Huay Kuan secretary Baey Teng Mong, lamenting the low
level of interest in dialects, said: "People see no economic value in
it."
.
The Education Ministry's official line reiterates: "Mandarin is the
unifying spoken language for Singaporean Chinese".
.
But Nanyang Girls' High School's (NYGH) dean of pupil development Teo
Yong Hong had this take. "I personally see no conflict in teaching
dialects and Chinese; it could even enliven their interest in
Mandarin," she said, adding that students might find dialects useful
when doing community service, as many elderly people have problems
understanding Mandarin.
.
In that aspect, dialects would bond rather than divide, said Singapore
Hokkien Huay Kuan's Tan Kian Choo, chairman of the association's
education committee.
.
"It helps the younger generation and the educated communicate with the
older generation and the less educated. Among peers, it is a natural
bond," he said.
Mother tongues get fresh lease of life in schools

http://www.todayonline.com/articles/249473.asp