Nigeria: Lagos to introduce Chinese language in schools

Don Osborn dzo at bisharat.net
Sun Apr 27 13:51:04 UTC 2008

I'm curious to know how the amounts committed for French, Arabic, and
Chinese language instruction compare with amounts spent on education in
Nigerian languages (including among other things, teacher education and
materials). I'm also wondering about strategies that involve Nigerian
languages as well as foreign languages.

One imagines that some infrastructure like language labs and so on could be
leveraged for many different kinds of language instruction and different
languages.

Another important area would be materials (dictionaries, learning materials)
relating Nigerian languages directly with major international languages like
French, Arabic, Chinese - and for that matter with each other. At present, I
imagine that all materials in Nigeria are from English to these other
tongues.

In the case of Chinese, there is instruction of Hausa on a limited scale in
China (mainly for broadcasters); it might not be too hard to generate the
data and the funding to develop Hausa <-> Chinese dictionaries and learning
materials.

This might sound frivolous, but I think it's important on several levels.
For instance, when I learned Chinese (via English) I found numerous
occasions where features of Chinese were easier to understand with reference
to Bambara (e.g., use of postpositions) or Fulfulde (the inclusive "we"
zh=zanmen ff=enen), and I even got the impression that Chinese was being
described to the learner not in terms of Chinese, but in terms of Western
linguistic categories. This contrasts with the way I learned Fulfulde. For
instance time/aspect in Chinese verbs seemed more like Fulfulde or Bambara
than like English or French.

This is grossly oversimplified and coming from a learner not a linguist, but
the point is that if in African countries there is investment in teaching
international languages, it would seem to put multilingual African students
at a disadvantage to teach with materials and methods designed for L1
English (or L1 French) speakers.

Furthermore, there seems to be a really intersting opportunity here to
invest in African languages AND major foreign languages by developing
materials that directly link those two (and not limited to English). For
instance, the added increment necessary to bring Nigerian languages into the
equation in the Nigerian foreign languages push is probably relatively
modest, but with tremendous payoff for the quality of language learning, the
country's languages and cultures, and a wider set of language-related skills
developed.

Don Osborn

http://www.thetidenews.com/article.aspx?qrDate=04/26/2008&qrTitle=Lagos%20to
%20introduce%20Chinese%20language%20in%20schools&qrColumn=NATION