Tenure track position for linguistic anthropologist at U-Mass Amherst

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 21:45:06 UTC 2008

Dear All,

I'm happy to say that our Department has been authorized to search for a
linguistic anthropologist to start next year. (see below and attached pdf)

I would be very grateful if you would help us to circulate this job announcement
to any qualified candidates.  We are excited about his new opportunity for
growing our subfield.

The announcement is also posted on the AAA website.

Best,
Jacqueline Urla
Associate Professor of Anthropology
& Chair, Search Committee

Mailing Address:
Department of Anthropology
Machmer Hall, 240 Hicks Way
University of Massachusetts Amherst
Amherst, MA 01003
Tel. 413 545-2869

The University of Massachusetts Amherst seeks to hire a scholar in the
Department of Anthropology at the assistant professor level starting Fall 2009,
with a specialization in the social life of discourse and language. PhD
preferred at the time of appointment. The Department is building on our
teaching, research, and service concentration on the causes and manifestations
of inequality and the promotion of social justice in the Americas. This position
is part of a group of hires in these areas across the subdisciplines of
anthropology.

The successful candidate will have a vision and strong record of research and
teaching in issues of discourse, power, and inequality, with a specific area
concentration that enhances our department's strength in the Americas, with a
preferred focus on Latin American, Caribbean, or Latino studies.

The Department has a strong preference for research that addresses the
racialized politics of language: racism, colonialism, creolization; language
shift, linguistic profiling, language and media, and language reclamation; the
role of language and discourse in the constitution of race, gender, and
sexuality; institutional(ized) discourses of education and socialization; and
bi- or multilingual communities.

The department seeks candidates who:

•       will strengthen our curriculum in research methodologies, data
collection, and
analysis, and have expertise in digital technologies for working with discourse
data.
•       demonstrate a willingness to serve linguistic communities through their
research.
•       are integrated into the racialized communities they study, as
a means to build
on the strong community outreach initiative of the department.
•       value and encourage research and teaching across the subdisciplines of
anthropology.
•       will strengthen our cooperation with interdepartmental
programs with these
same foci.

The department is committed to developing a more diverse faculty, student body
and curriculum.

The University of Massachusetts Amherst is the flagship campus of the 5-campus
publicly funded UMass system. It is located in the Connecticut River Valley, 90
miles west of Boston and 180 miles northeast of New York City. UMass Amherst
hosts nearly 19,000 undergraduate students and 5,600 graduate students, and
nearly 900 tenure system faculty. The Department of Anthropology has 17 faculty,
175 majors in the BA program and 82 graduate students working on MA and/or PhD
programs.

UMass Amherst anthropology faculty work closely with their counterparts in the
area private colleges (Amherst, Hampshire, Mount Holyoke, and Smith) in
curricular planning. The faculty is unionized, and the University of
Massachusetts offers an excellent benefits package. UMass Amherst prohibits
discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation. The University of
Massachusetts is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.  Women and
members of minority groups are encouraged to apply.

Send a letter describing interests and qualifications, a CV, and listing of 3
referees to Chair, Linguistic Anthropology Search Committee, Department of
Anthropology, UMass, Amherst, MA 01003.  Application screening commences on
October 1, 2008, and continues until the position is filled.