Tanzania shall not be an island linguistically

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 22:49:56 UTC 2008

Forwarded From: edling at lists.sis.utsa.edu

Daily News Online

Tanzania shall not be an island linguistically

Several arguments have been advanced in favour of Kiswahili. Some of
them have taken the following tone: If the Germans, French, Spaniards,
etc use their own languages as mediums of instruction, why not us?
Don't we have our own national language? Are we not proud of it? Why
should we continue to burden our children with a difficult foreign
language in which they are not competent after all? I beg to part
company with these contentions, because I believe that patriotic
though they (appear) sound they are nevertheless fallacious. They are
fallacious because they ignore certain fundamental principles of
teaching and learning.

Full story:

http://dailynews.habarileo.co.tz/business/index.php?id=6387