Caught in the grips of linguistic paranoia

Stan-sandy Anonby stan-sandy_anonby at sil.org
Tue Aug 12 14:18:14 UTC 2008

Interesting article. I have a question, though. It says The Quality of Life Index, published by The Economist in 2005, showed that the five countries with the highest standard of living were Ireland, Switzerland, Norway, Luxembourg, and Sweden. Aside from having a European address, all of these countries have one key thing in common - they promote multilingualism.

That's a really cool list. I looked at it, and noticed that most of the countries with the lowest standard of living were also pretty mulitlingual.

I'm all in favour of quality of life, and I'm all in favour of multilinguilism. I'm just not sure what the Quality of Life Index can tell us about the correlation between the two.

Stan Anonby