Caught in the grips of linguistic paranoia

Anthea Fraser Gupta A.F.Gupta at leeds.ac.uk
Wed Aug 13 11:01:58 UTC 2008

Yes, what a title! and I agree we should start quoting this elegantly
written paper.

The best place to read it for some people might be International J of
Applied Linguistics 1:1 1991.
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/fulltext/119993754/PDFSTART

Fishman says (more thoroughly and with more sums) much what Stan and I
said,that "linguistic heterogeneity is not an independent predictor of
GNP or strife".  He was attacking a (then? still?) entrenched view that
linguistic heterogeneity was associated with more civil strife and a
lower GNP. Fishman's criteria (a huge 238) seem more thought through
than the Economist's -- I still don't understand the climate one! But
the converse would be equally true -- neither is linguistic
heterogeneity associated with less civil strive and a higher GNP.
Fishman concludes by calling for the examination of those linguistic
policies (based on cultural pluralism) that do lead to positive
outcomes. I don't know how he would regard the rather special promotion
of English-Irish bilingualism in Ireland, which isn't based on cultural
pluralism so much as on expression of national identity.

Reading this paper one realises how the world has changed since 1991.
Fishman comments that "There has been less politicized ethnolinguistic
factionalism in the half century since the Second World War,
notwithstanding the large number of Third World polities that have come
into existence since then, than in the half century preceding it. ...
The weak relationship between these criteria [linguistic heterogeneity
and GNP/civil strife] are both resultants of past circumstances as well
as indications that those circumstances do not now commonly obtain in
the world at large, all the more so once the problems of perestroika in
the former communist countries have been overcome or attenuated." Less
than 20 years later, it seems clear to me that past circumstances don't
disappear and that one cannot assume continuing peace. I'm not saying
that linguistic heterogeneity is a cause, of course. I agree with
Fishman that any association is weak. And if people want to they will
create ethnolinguistic groups whether there are significant linguistic
differences between them or not. And not all conflict is linguistically
linked either. But ethnolinguistic nationalism is as important in the
world today as it ever was.

Fishman looked at linguistic heterogeneity and the original article to
which we are all responding referred to countries that supported
linguistic heterogeneity in their policies.  We could (if we had decent
statistics, which we don't) get some figures on linguistic
heterogeneity.

We would presumably want data on native language patterns [note that we
would need data on ALL languages spoken in early childhood. Where there
is widespread familial bilingualism there can be commonality of native
language as well as diversity. For example, if A is a native speaker of
Malay and English, and B is a native speaker of Mandarin and English, A
and B have 3 native languages between them, and one in common, whereas
if B is a native speaker only of Mandarin, they have 3 languages between
them and none in common.]

Then we would have to look at governmental support for linguistic
heterogeneity. Typically (even in South Africa) only some varieties of
some languages are promoted. We can't divide the world into the bad guy
ling.het.denying countries and the good guy ling.het.promoting countries
-- it's more complicated than that. Look at Switzerland -- how do ethnic
minorities outside the officially sanctioned ones work?

(BTW -- did you mean me when you said 'Andrea', Christine? 8-). However,
I also note that I haven't mastered negative maths -- the Economist
thinks UK has a worse climate than Ireland. Not that I understand that
either. )

Anthea
Anthea Fraser Gupta (Dr)
School of English, University of Leeds, LS2 9JT
<www.leeds.ac.uk/english/staff/afg>
NB: Reply to a.f.gupta at leeds.ac.uk