Kansas: English-only lawsuit underway

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 14:23:30 UTC 2008

English-only lawsuit underway
By Jessica Oakley

Story Updated: Aug 12, 2008 at 7:33 PM CDT

WICHITA, Kansas, August 12, 2008 – An English-only policy for
students, implemented by the Catholic Diocese of Wichita at one of its
schools, is the subject of a lawsuit that got underway in Federal
Court Tuesday.

A total of three sets of parents have filed suit against the Catholic
Diocese of Wichita saying the English-only policy implemented at St.
Anne Catholic School in south Wichita violates their children's civil
rights. The Diocese maintains the policy had to be implemented because
the students involved with this lawsuit were making fun of other kids
in Spanish. Adam Silva, 11, one of the children involved with this
suit took the witness stand.  His parents say he was kicked out of St.
Anne last fall for refusing to sign the English-only policy.

During his testimony, Adam got so emotional while discussing the
discrimination he claims he faced for speaking Spanish, the judge
ordered a recess.

Clara Silva, Adam's mother, also testified.  She got very emotional,
especially when discussing a hate-filled email she says was written by
a student at St. Anne's and circulated around the school.  She says
the email told Hispanic students to go back where they came from if
they didn't like the English-only policy.

The Diocese strongly maintains this is not a malicious policy, only
one designed to prevent bullying.

More testimony from children involved in the lawsuit is expected Wednesday.

Mary Lou:  I think the English only in the school should be upheld,
but I feel that the school should be working on bullying by English
speaking students as well as Spanish speaking students. Cindy:  About
the Catholic church lawsuit - unless those Spanish speaking kids are
in Spanish class, they need to speak English.........this is America
and our official language is English.

Sheryl & Ron, Salina:   We believe that if you want to live in America
you should speak the English in our school. We don't under stand why
our country should bow down to speaking Spanish everywhere; their
country sure wouldn't do the same for us if we lived there.

Marty, Oxford:  I find it kind of ironic that the Catholic Church
takes a one-language policy when so much of the religion is based in
Latin....The whole outfit needs to get with the program. We're not a
one language society.  It seems ironic that so much of the church is
based on another language and then they take this English-only
approach.

Anonymous:  If English speaking people visit Mexico we are expected to
either learn their language or use a translator. Why should it be any
different for them when they come to the United States? It's unfair
that Spanish speaking people can degrade English only speaking people
just because we don't know their language. We were here first! Learn
our language and use it to communicate with us or go back to a Spanish
speaking country.

Cori:  I happen to agree with the Catholic school's decision about
English-only. The boy that took the stand today speaks English as a
FIRST language, and Spanish as a second language. Bullying comes in
many forms, and the school's decision to stop bullying in another
language was a smart one. If the students can speak English, then they
should have no problem with the rule.

Neal: I believe that the English only policy should be held because of
the fact that this is the USA and if you want to speak Spanish go to
Mexico.

Gloria:  English should be the main language spoken in the US and our
schools. I think it is great to be fluent in other languages, but
English should be the US and we should be proud to speak it.

Sue, Wichita:  I feel that all schools should have only English
spoken.  It is time for all to remember that this is America and we
should only speak English.  They can speak Spanish at home.

Linda, Wichita:  More school districts and businesses should follow
suit and apply English only policies. This is the United States and
the language is English. you go to any other country to live & work
and you learn to speak their language or you don't work...tell them to
get over it and speak English.

Misty: Absolutely the diocese should uphold the English only rule! My
mother-in-law came here from France not knowing a word of English. The
very first thing she did was learn the language of our country. She
was proud to be here and proud to learn the language. Anyone who comes
here and doesn't want to or feel they need to learn to speak English
should exercise another of our American freedoms and go back to the
country that they are proud to speak the language of!! God Bless
America!!!

Jenny, Otis: It's a private school and the private schools should be
able to set their guidelines and if you want to send your child
there.....follow the guidelines! I wish our US public schools would do
this to.  Want a foreign language class?  Offering Spanish, French and
German is common; I guess they could offer English for those that wish
to learn English.

Cindy, Wichita:  I agree with the Catholic Diocese of Wichita and
their stand on the English Only Policy.

Hugh & Terry:  English only.

Anne, Wichita:  I agree with St Anne's, this is the United States, AND
a private school where we speak English.  The teachers who watch these
kids at recess, on Church property should not have to learn Spanish to
know that the kids aren't planning a shooting.

Amanda, Valley Center:  As long as you live in America, I believe that
you should learn the English language and I agree with the school of
having an English only policy. In other countries you are expected to
learn their language and there are no exceptions, it should be the
same here. Besides you don't know what they are saying and for all you
know they could be talking bad about another student.

Cora, Wichita:  I agree with the Catholic Diocese of Wichita and their
stand on the English Only Policy.

Steve, Pratt:  I thought we had separation of Church and State? Why
should the "Government" tell any Church what policies it can or can
not have? If the Government wins this, should the file suit for prayer
in public school???

Dave, Hill City:  I think it's about time someone has the guts to
enforce a policy like this. English always has been and should always
be the one and only language recognized in this country. What language
people want to speak in the privacy of their own homes is their own
business, but any other language besides English in any establishment
be it public or private should not be allowed. It only serves to
segregate people and promote racial intolerance.

Janet:  I think that people in American should speak English.  People
in Mexico should speak Spanish.  It's that simple.

Cecil, Wichita:  This is an English speaking country and in public or
school English should be spoken.

Shirley, Wichita:  This is a private school and as such certainly has
every right to set their rules. If the rule is "English only" spoken
within the total school arena, inside, outside and any school
sponsored function, then that is the rule. Period. We live in a
society where the rules are all for someone else. If the
parents/students don't like the rules, go somewhere else. This isn't a
moral right or wrong issue. It is a private school with the rules of
the school.

Carolyn, Wichita:  I hope St. Anne school continues with the 'English
only' policy during school hours.

Nancy, Wichita:  I can't imagine why the Hispanic parents think there
is anything alright about their children, 6th graders (not toddlers),
to denigrate other children in Hispanic or in English.  I also cannot
understand why Hispanic people think everyone should learn their
language and allow them to be here indefinitely without learning our
language.  I wouldn't go to any other country expecting them to do
that for me.  It seems to me that in the good old days people who
immigrated to our country had to learn the language, know the history,
know the constitution, pass a test, and pledge allegiance to this
country to become a citizen, work here and take advantage of all the
social services.  What happened to that policy?

H.D.:  Good evening, if I recall right a few years back Congress
declared English the official language of this country, that to me
means that when the Spanish or any other foreign speaking people step
out of their house or their car, it's English or keep your mouth shut.
Any more when I go to the store I feel I'm in a foreign country,
because I can't understand half of what is being said around me and
it's time for it to stop. So yes the school is right to expect them to
learn the language of this land and more power to em.

Vicki:  In regards to the Catholic church having an English only
policy I think it is great. I am tired of our country bending over
backwards to Spanish people. In all the years of immigrants coming to
this country we have never had to change our language to accommodate
them. If you come to this country learn English like everyone before
you had to. I think the church should have the right to decide what is
spoke within their walls.

Barbara:  The school is a Catholic school and had first amendment
rights not controlled by the government. If they believe that it is
important for their students to speak English so they can become
successful members of the community then they have that right. If the
parents do not like it they can send them to public school where they
can speak their language and become a citizen that can not work at a
good job. This country was built by immigrants that knew that to be
useful and to succeed they needed to become an English speaking member
of the community. My father was taught English by his brother and
sisters so when it started school he would be able to success in
school. We kept our German tradition at home but did not expect our
neighbors to speak German to us but English.  I think that our Spanish
speaking families need to grow up and realize that they are in the US
where we speak English not in Mexico.

Anonymous, Wichita:  The school did the right thing. They made the
rule in response to a problem created by the Spanish speaking
children.  The teachers and principal are responsible for what happens
in the school. If they can't understand what the students are saying
because the students are speaking a foreign language, then they can't
do their jobs.  Also they need to use English more so that they can
become more at ease with it and be better able to communicate with
others. This is also a private school and you are not forced to go
there. As far as the children becoming emotionally distraught I have
no doubt that most of it was because the parents put them between a
rock and hard place. Instead of teaching their children that there are
rules to be followed and wanting their children to be better able to
communicate in this society they chose to teach them that rules are
for somebody else and that you don't need to learn how to communicate
in English.  The parents are wrong.

Jewell, Wichita: This is America-We speak English here-If they don't
like it, go to a "Spanish-Only" school! After all, we don't go to
Mexico (or anywhere else) and expect them to change everything for us!

Mark, Wichita: The Catholic school has every right to have an English
only policy at school (it is The United States).  If bi-lingual kids
want to speak Spanish, that is what after school, the weekend and home
is for.  Other bi-lingual kids (in something other than Spanish) speak
their language at home and aren't suing the Catholic Church or school
system.

http://www.ksn.com/news/local/26886649.html