Kansas: Catholic principal defends English-only policy

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 15:44:22 UTC 2008

Catholic principal defends English-only policy
By Laura McMillan

Story Updated: Aug 14, 2008 at 5:16 PM CDT

WICHITA, Kansas, August 14, 2008 - A Catholic school principal is
defending her decision to implement an English-only policy at the
school.
Three Hispanic families are suing St. Anne Catholic School and the
Catholic Diocese of Wichita because of the policy.  The families say
it violates their children's civil rights. On Thursday, the school
principal, Sister Margaret Nugent, C.S.J., took the witness stand in
the trial.  She testified she started the policy because she learned
some of the 6th grade students were making derogatory comments in
Spanish.  She said those students can speak fluent English. District
Judge J. Thomas Marten asked Sister Margaret if she sought the counsel
of any parents, particularly of Spanish-speaking students, prior to
implementing the policy.  She answered that she did not.

He then asked if the policy had been modified since some parents had
expressed concerns.  She said that it had not. Sister Margaret added
that the reaction to the policy came as a surprise to her.  She said
St. Anne was already an English-speaking school.  She said that
perhaps she was insensitive to how some parents would react. Judge
Marten asked if, prior to the English-only policy, students could
speak Spanish.  The principal said that was correct, that no one
complained about the Spanish language until it became an issue with
reports of derogatory comments.

The judge also asked if the school considered any alternatives to the
English-only policy.  Sister Margaret then asked him if he had any
alternatives to offer. The judge clarified his question, asking if
Sister Margaret had heard of or discussed any other alternatives to
the policy.  Sister Margaret answered that her goal is the safety of
all the children.  She said the school has to be conscious of what's
being said, such as detrimental and disrespectful comments.  She said
that disrespect is hard to take, that they know it's out there, but
it's not something the school condones. Judge Marten then asked if
Sister Margaret felt she showed any disrespect to Hispanic students
with the English-only rule.  Her first response was that she is
stubborn and the families knew they were entering an English-speaking
school.

The judge said he understood, but then he asked Sister Margaret if she
understood how taking away something that students used to be able to
do, like speaking Spanish during school recesses or lunch, could be a
sign of disrespect.  Sister Margaret answered, "Maybe. A trifle."
After the principal's testimony, the lawyer for the families rested
his case.  The lawyer representing the school and the church begins
his case in the morning.

Previous Report:
First day of testimony

***KSN Viewers "CHIME IN"***

Brad, Wichita: I agree 100% with St. Anne's English only policy. My
mother lives next door to a lady who speaks only Spanish and no
English. Her children speak English and Spanish. I have heard her
children outside using inappropriate 4 letter words and the bad thing
is that she can't even punish them because she has no idea what they
are saying. This is why everyone should speak English. Yes, I know
that it is not an official language, but if it was, I think this
country would get along better. If I was to live in Mexico, I would
make sure to learn Spanish because I feel I would be respecting the
country and the people of that country. If someone comes to the United
States from Mexico, they should have that same kind of respect. The
most widely used language has been English since the beginning of this
country and it should stay that way.

Julie, Wichita: As a Hispanic and former high school teacher, I
totally agree with St. Anne's English-only policy. It is indeed the
right of every American to speak in any language they choose. But what
happens when a student uses that right to make fun of, degrade, or
hurt another person? We wouldn't tolerate degrading language in
English, why should we let it slide if it is spoken in Spanish or any
other language? As a high school teacher, most of my students were not
aware of the fact that I could understand Spanish. As a result, I
overheard many students making degrading comments about their
classmates, teachers, or myself, and was able to hold them accountable
for their actions. Should they have been able to get away with it
simply because they used a different language? An English-only policy
seems to be a fair way to deal with such issues, especially in a
school. Many of the conversations I overheard involved students making
racist and sexual comments. I do not know of any school that would
have allowed such comments in English. Is it acceptable for them to
say such things as long as they use a language that no one else will
understand? Everyone has the right to be treated with dignity and
respect. If someone chooses to use their freedom to speak in a
different language to violate basic human dignity, I believe that they
forfeit that right.

Randy, Wichita:  As I read through the statements of others I found
that there was one item that has been lost in the shuffle. The
Governor of our great state of Kansas signed a bill in 2007 that took
effect in July of that year declaring that English is the state's
official language. I do not believe that the Catholic Church that is
providing a private school is in the wrong. I agree with others that
have spoken out that if the students do not want to abide by a private
school's rules, they should attend public schools where the teachers
and faculty are being trained for multicultural issues. This is not an
issue of separation of church and state. This is an issue of the needs
of the many, outweighing the needs of the few, which is what this
country was originally founded upon. I do hope that we step back and
remember that.

Anonymous, Wichita:  I am a member of St. Anne's Wichita. I feel that
the diocese and the church have more than accommodated the Hispanic
culture at our parish. We have a Spanish Mass for them and we also
have classes in preparation for Communion and to grow in our faith and
our priest would talk in English and then afterwards take the time to
repeat what he said to us in Spanish for those that needed it. I don't
know what more they expect from us and our parish.

Anonymous, Wichita: I'm amazed at how many people are ignorant enough
to truly believe that everyone in the United States should be speaking
English. Yes, it makes communication much easier if we're all speaking
the same language. HOWEVER, our country does NOT have a national
language...hence the reason we're considered a "melting pot." In
regards to people commenting on the bullying issue...all students
should be reprimanded for bullying, and if a student is bullying in
Spanish, then it's the bullying, not the language that is the issue
and should be punished. As a teacher, I find it a shame that so many
people seem to be holding this issue again the kids, when they
probably had no control over where they live...as a society, it is our
responsibility to give them an education (even if it means teaching
ELL classes so they can succeed)!

Anonymous, Wichita: Many people seem to be missing the whole point.
This is not about speaking Spanish as much as it is bullying.  If I
was to start using finger gestures to make fun of people or intimidate
them I would be asked to stop.  "I was just pointing" yeah right!  We
all know that kids will use common things and pervert them to bully or
make fun of.  We have all done it.  Unfortunately, these kids and
families didn't seem to get it until the school was forced to make a
rule about it.  Jibbernash ish flabben!  You don't have a clue what
that means but it could be really bad.  Is it okay to say it or not?

Tom (shortened version of original email): I am a Hispanic, Catholic
and a proud American. To the parents of this lawsuit: I implore you
that as an American and as a Catholic, you need to abide by the laws
and rules of this land. This is more than having a right to speak
Spanish on the playground.  The majority of people I know are tired of
those who come to this country and become spoiled by the freedom that
was won by others. America is tired of those who like you who wish to
diversify and water down our laws with selfish viewpoints. America is
a great place and diverse people made it so.  There are many beautiful
cultures here and no one is taking yours away, but at the same time
those diverse Americans who by following the laws of the land have
woven together what we are today, a great nation where you have the
freedom to worship and be who you want to be. The fabric of our unity
is woven together by all those who have come before us and have abided
by the rules and laws of this land. This is not an unjust law that you
are challenging, you need to know the difference.

Gaby:  I would like to remind the ignorant of Kansas that our country
does not have an official national language. I don't understand how a
nation based on immigration and sharing culture has inhabitants who
are so one sided and bigoted. English is not our national language and
to assume and force all to speak it is wrong and disgusting!

Anonymous:  Why is it that America is the only country in the world
that seems to have a problem with immigrants speaking their native
language? Could it be ignorance?

Jason, Wichita:  I am appalled by the complete and disgustingly vast
ignorance of the other KSN viewers commenting on this story.  They
pride themselves in this country and our great freedoms like free
speech, yet they actually wrote that anyone who speaks another
language should only be able to at home.  It's completely ridiculous.
They also seem to ignore that many foreign language speakers are at
least partly bilingual and that they naturally choose their own
language when with their own people.  This is the same thing any one
of those people making these comments would do if they had to live in
a foreign country where English was not the official language.  They
also don't understand that Spanish language speakers don't expect us
to learn Spanish.  Where did that come from?  I will also never
understand playing the history or Constitution knowledge card,
considering many Americans don't know this stuff as well as they
"should."  Apparently empathy is impossible here.  Nearly 100% of the
comments had the same egotistical theme.

Anonymous:  English only should be upheld, because it does cause
problems of "bullying" by people making slurs and bad remarks in
Spanish towards non-Spanish speaking people.  If we start at school,
perhaps it will help eliminate some of the hostility in the work
place, and it is a problem at large companies.

Adrienne, Wichita:  I am embarrassed by the bigoted, shallow, and just
plain ignorant reactions I have seen to this story.  And I am
embarrassed by the position my Church has taken in this situation.
Why are some people so threatened by a few kids speaking Spanish?  Why
do we need to silence those who are different rather than embrace
diversity?  It seems the problem was not the language, but the
attitude.  If they wanted to stop insults and bickering, why not
simply ban THE INSULTS in ANY language?  That the ban is specifically
targeted at Spanish speaks to me of blatant prejudice, and (legal or
not) it is sad -- is this what the Church stands for?  Now all the
Spanish-speaking kids are paying for the short-comings and
insecurities of a few.  Sad indeed.

Betty, Augusta: This is America and we speak English. Next we have a
lawsuit that our schools should allow Chinese, Japanese, Russian,
Arabic, etc. It will get out of hand. If you want to speak your native
language speak it at home! What's the big deal?  You are in an English
speaking country!

Anonymous, Wichita: St. Anne School has a policy against bullying and
it is enforced by teachers, administrators and volunteers.  This
policy, as well as all St. Anne's policies, must be administered
fairly.  How fair is it when an English speaking student gets
consequences for bullying, and the Spanish clique, speaking in
Spanish, say the same derogatory remark, or worse, than the English
speaking students, and don't get consequences?  One cannot expect
every volunteer (who by the way are 99% English speaking only), to
learn another language just to stop a small minority of students from
bullying.  English has to be the only language, unless we want any
"other language" speaking groups, cliques or gangs from planning
vandalism, or worse, a killing spree.  It CAN happen in Kansas, and
has.  I applaud the administration for keeping ALL the students safe.

Rosemary, Garden City:  St. Anne's is a private school not receiving
any government/state funding; they have the right to uphold whatever
standards they want!  It is a choice to attend this school and that
should include abiding by the rules they make.  In reality, a learning
environment isn't as affective as it could be when everyone isn't
speaking the same language.  This isn't discrimination; this is for
the betterment of everyone involved.  If you have a problem with that
standard, attend public school where they cater to everyone in fear of
losing funding.

Anonymous, Wichita:  People please understand is year 2008. Global
Warming, Global Economy, Global Language!!!

Anonymous, Wichita (shortened version of original email): I found this
funny and absurd, I'm sure Jesus is laughing right now how a Catholic
school is preventing the teaching, education and social liberties
among Childs. You know what I mean. If you go to heaven, I hope they
don't ask you to know a specific language to enter.  And how can you
prohibit a child not to speak any language in the play ground by
intimidation.  The US is a great country, but look around closer and
what you will see is people on every street from around the world
speaking not only Spanish but every single language that is out there.
 And I can tell you that if you go to Mexico, you can speak any
language, and no body cares.  Not because you speak Spanish, means you
don't love this country.  Please do me a favor, stop the phobia and
watch less TV.

Alice, Wichita:  I completely support the Wichita Diocese's position.
I lived in Mexico at an early age. My father was transferred to
Merida, on the Yucatan peninsula when I was 7 years old. I can vividly
remember my 1st day of school. I was the only American in my class, no
one spoke English. Within the 1st year I was speaking Spanish, I had
no choice. No one gave me any special treatments or made any special
considerations, I was in their country so why should they. During my
second year, another American girl came to our school. We were told by
the school we were not to speak English at any time during school. By
the time my family left their country I could speak, read and write in
Spanish.  So don't tell me "we are not being fair".  I feel they
should keep their culture "alive" but at home as I did when I lived in
their country.

Jean, Andover:  I loathe ethnic prejudice, but I do not believe that
the school is discriminating against any ethnic group, but just trying
to prevent exclusion of the non-Spanish speaking children. Schools
must have rules to maintain order. When I was young I was taught that
it was discourteous to whisper to one person in the presence of
another, excluding that person and making them feel as if they are
unwelcome or possibly the subject of negative conversation. Speaking
in a language foreign to those present when all present are capable of
speaking the same language is just as impolite.  The parents would do
more service for their children if they would explain and teach
courtesy and explain to them that in a group situation, everyone has
to give up some things that they want, to keep harmony.

James (shortened version of original email):  I am very appreciative
for the different cultures that we have in the United States, but
these cultures need to remember that they are in the USA--and
therefore, should speak the English language. They are free to speak
their own languages in their own homes. I am not sure what the
children's parents are teaching them by bringing about such a lawsuit.
I do not think the school is discriminating at all by the request to
speak English--they are just trying to solve a problem the best they
can. It seems that the people in America do not want to live or abide
by laws and rules anymore-no matter what the issue.

Dwight (shortened version of original email):  It is a private school
and should be able to set the rules for its organization. If someone
does not like the rules they can choose to go someplace else for their
education. The amount of money that is used for providing information
in the second language could well be used in other areas. Tax payers
should not have to pay this extra expense in public schools and other
government programs.  It would be nice to see the English language
made into the "legal language of American." This is probably not very
politically popular but would save the tax payers lots of money. (This
would make a good story for one of your reports. How much is spent
providing the Courts, Schools and other programs with information in
different languages.) Our Representatives and Senators are suppose to
be doing what is best for the United States not what will get them
re-elected.

William:  English Only! This is the U.S.A. I am American-born of
German heritage & grew up speaking German in the home as our first
language. First grade was tough as I had to learn English and the A B
C's at the same time. Yes, it can be done at any age if you want to.
Where did we lose separation of Church & state?

Mary Lou:  I think the English only in the school should be upheld,
but I feel that the school should be working on bullying by English
speaking students as well as Spanish speaking students.

Cindy:  About the Catholic church lawsuit - unless those Spanish
speaking kids are in Spanish class, they need to speak
English.........this is America and our official language is English.

Sheryl & Ron, Salina:   We believe that if you want to live in America
you should speak the English in our school. We don't under stand why
our country should bow down to speaking Spanish everywhere; their
country sure wouldn't do the same for us if we lived there.

Marty, Oxford:  I find it kind of ironic that the Catholic Church
takes a one-language policy when so much of the religion is based in
Latin....The whole outfit needs to get with the program. We're not a
one language society.  It seems ironic that so much of the church is
based on another language and then they take this English-only
approach.

Anonymous:  If English speaking people visit Mexico we are expected to
either learn their language or use a translator. Why should it be any
different for them when they come to the United States? It's unfair
that Spanish speaking people can degrade English only speaking people
just because we don't know their language. We were here first! Learn
our language and use it to communicate with us or go back to a Spanish
speaking country.

Cori:  I happen to agree with the Catholic school's decision about
English-only. The boy that took the stand today speaks English as a
FIRST language, and Spanish as a second language. Bullying comes in
many forms, and the school's decision to stop bullying in another
language was a smart one. If the students can speak English, then they
should have no problem with the rule.

Neal: I believe that the English only policy should be held because of
the fact that this is the USA and if you want to speak Spanish go to
Mexico.

Gloria:  English should be the main language spoken in the US and our
schools. I think it is great to be fluent in other languages, but
English should be the US and we should be proud to speak it.

Sue, Wichita:  I feel that all schools should have only English
spoken.  It is time for all to remember that this is America and we
should only speak English.  They can speak Spanish at home.

Linda, Wichita:  More school districts and businesses should follow
suit and apply English only policies. This is the United States and
the language is English. you go to any other country to live & work
and you learn to speak their language or you don't work...tell them to
get over it and speak English.

Misty: Absolutely the diocese should uphold the English only rule! My
mother-in-law came here from France not knowing a word of English. The
very first thing she did was learn the language of our country. She
was proud to be here and proud to learn the language. Anyone who comes
here and doesn't want to or feel they need to learn to speak English
should exercise another of our American freedoms and go back to the
country that they are proud to speak the language of!! God Bless
America!!!

Jenny, Otis: It's a private school and the private schools should be
able to set their guidelines and if you want to send your child
there.....follow the guidelines! I wish our US public schools would do
this to.  Want a foreign language class?  Offering Spanish, French and
German is common; I guess they could offer English for those that wish
to learn English.

Cindy, Wichita:  I agree with the Catholic Diocese of Wichita and
their stand on the English Only Policy.

Hugh & Terry:  English only.

Anne, Wichita:  I agree with St Anne's, this is the United States, AND
a private school where we speak English.  The teachers who watch these
kids at recess, on Church property should not have to learn Spanish to
know that the kids aren't planning a shooting.

Amanda, Valley Center:  As long as you live in America, I believe that
you should learn the English language and I agree with the school of
having an English only policy. In other countries you are expected to
learn their language and there are no exceptions, it should be the
same here. Besides you don't know what they are saying and for all you
know they could be talking bad about another student.

Cora, Wichita:  I agree with the Catholic Diocese of Wichita and their
stand on the English Only Policy.

Steve, Pratt:  I thought we had separation of Church and State? Why
should the "Government" tell any Church what policies it can or can
not have? If the Government wins this, should the file suit for prayer
in public school???

Dave, Hill City:  I think it's about time someone has the guts to
enforce a policy like this. English always has been and should always
be the one and only language recognized in this country. What language
people want to speak in the privacy of their own homes is their own
business, but any other language besides English in any establishment
be it public or private should not be allowed. It only serves to
segregate people and promote racial intolerance.

Janet:  I think that people in American should speak English.  People
in Mexico should speak Spanish.  It's that simple.

Cecil, Wichita:  This is an English speaking country and in public or
school English should be spoken.

Shirley, Wichita:  This is a private school and as such certainly has
every right to set their rules. If the rule is "English only" spoken
within the total school arena, inside, outside and any school
sponsored function, then that is the rule. Period. We live in a
society where the rules are all for someone else. If the
parents/students don't like the rules, go somewhere else. This isn't a
moral right or wrong issue. It is a private school with the rules of
the school.

Carolyn, Wichita:  I hope St. Anne school continues with the 'English
only' policy during school hours.

Nancy, Wichita:  I can't imagine why the Hispanic parents think there
is anything alright about their children, 6th graders (not toddlers),
to denigrate other children in Hispanic or in English.  I also cannot
understand why Hispanic people think everyone should learn their
language and allow them to be here indefinitely without learning our
language.  I wouldn't go to any other country expecting them to do
that for me.  It seems to me that in the good old days people who
immigrated to our country had to learn the language, know the history,
know the constitution, pass a test, and pledge allegiance to this
country to become a citizen, work here and take advantage of all the
social services.  What happened to that policy?

H.D.:  Good evening, if I recall right a few years back Congress
declared English the official language of this country, that to me
means that when the Spanish or any other foreign speaking people step
out of their house or their car, it's English or keep your mouth shut.
Any more when I go to the store I feel I'm in a foreign country,
because I can't understand half of what is being said around me and
it's time for it to stop. So yes the school is right to expect them to
learn the language of this land and more power to em.

Vicki:  In regards to the Catholic church having an English only
policy I think it is great. I am tired of our country bending over
backwards to Spanish people. In all the years of immigrants coming to
this country we have never had to change our language to accommodate
them. If you come to this country learn English like everyone before
you had to. I think the church should have the right to decide what is
spoke within their walls.

Barbara:  The school is a Catholic school and had first amendment
rights not controlled by the government. If they believe that it is
important for their students to speak English so they can become
successful members of the community then they have that right. If the
parents do not like it they can send them to public school where they
can speak their language and become a citizen that can not work at a
good job. This country was built by immigrants that knew that to be
useful and to succeed they needed to become an English speaking member
of the community. My father was taught English by his brother and
sisters so when it started school he would be able to success in
school. We kept our German tradition at home but did not expect our
neighbors to speak German to us but English.  I think that our Spanish
speaking families need to grow up and realize that they are in the US
where we speak English not in Mexico.

Anonymous, Wichita:  The school did the right thing. They made the
rule in response to a problem created by the Spanish speaking
children.  The teachers and principal are responsible for what happens
in the school. If they can't understand what the students are saying
because the students are speaking a foreign language, then they can't
do their jobs.  Also they need to use English more so that they can
become more at ease with it and be better able to communicate with
others. This is also a private school and you are not forced to go
there. As far as the children becoming emotionally distraught I have
no doubt that most of it was because the parents put them between a
rock and hard place. Instead of teaching their children that there are
rules to be followed and wanting their children to be better able to
communicate in this society they chose to teach them that rules are
for somebody else and that you don't need to learn how to communicate
in English.  The parents are wrong.

Jewell, Wichita: This is America-We speak English here-If they don't
like it, go to a "Spanish-Only" school! After all, we don't go to
Mexico (or anywhere else) and expect them to change everything for us!

Mark, Wichita: The Catholic school has every right to have an English
only policy at school (it is The United States).  If bi-lingual kids
want to speak Spanish, that is what after school, the weekend and home
is for.  Other bi-lingual kids (in something other than Spanish) speak
their language at home and aren't suing the Catholic Church or school
system.

http://www.ksn.com/news/local/26967764.html