english-only initiative in Nashville

Dennis Baron debaron at illinois.edu
Fri Aug 15 17:09:15 UTC 2008

from today's Tennessean:

Aug. 15, 2008
English-only ballot drive brings count, robust debate

Should measure gain approval, enforcement questions remain

By JANELL ROSS
Staff Writer

Davidson County Election Commission workers will launch the
painstaking process of verifying 12,503 signatures today, ultimately
deciding whether an English-only measure makes the Nov. 4 ballot.

Metro Nashville Councilman Eric Crafton dropped off signed petition
postcards Thursday, well before Saturday's deadline and with what he
said is enough margin of error to account for unqualified voters or
signatures that can't be verified. Crafton's measure needs 10,103
valid signatures to be included.

The measure would prevent city business from being done in any
language other than English. But exactly how it would be carried out —
if at all — upon passage is up for debate.

President Bill Clinton signed an order in 2000 that made reasonable
translation services a protected civil right to prevent discrimination
based on national origin. Governments must publish ballots in other
languages, and any program that accepts federal dollars must work with
people who aren't English-proficient.

Even some of the biggest proponents of English-only initiatives say
enforcement is tough.

"An official English language resolution is often treated a lot like a
'we love the spotted owl' resolution," said Jim Boulet Jr., executive
director of the Springfield, Va.-based English First. "It's there, but
it has no power because it's not enforced."

ACLU will watch closely

While the Metro Nashville charter does not give the mayor authority to
decline to implement voter-approved charter amendments, Mayor Karl
Dean has options, said George Cate Jr., a former vice mayor who also
served on a charter amendment committee.

Dean can ask for a legal opinion on the initiative's constitutionality
and decide how to interpret the amendment's language.

"I guess in some respects he could try to put a very restrictive
interpretation on it and not apply it anymore often than he has to,"
Cate said.

The American Civil Liberties Union in Nashville indicated that it
would closely examine the constitutional questions raised by the
measure. And Crafton said he would do what he must to see that the law
would be enforced.

A similar English-only measure passed the Metro Council but was vetoed
last year by then-mayor Bill Purcell. This time, to bypass the
possibility of a mayoral veto, Crafton opted to attempt to amend the
Metro Charter.

At his media conference Thursday, Crafton and two initiative
supporters carried three sealed plastic storage containers full of
petition postcards into the clerk's office.

"To me, these cards represent thousands of voices crying out to be
heard on this issue," Crafton said. "The citizens are not going to be
held hostage by the threat of lawsuits."

Davidson County Election Administrator Ray Barrett said four to six
members of his staff would compare the signatures and addresses on the
petition cards to scanned images of voter registration cards.

In general, the names and signatures need not be exact matches. For
instance, a petition card signed "Janice R. Smith" and a corresponding
voter registration card with the same address and signed "Jan Smith"
can be verified, as long as the addresses and writing match in some way.

Barrett said he does not believe monitors interested in the
verification process will be allowed inside areas where the work takes
place. People on either side of the petition and ballot initiative
that ultimately brought the Titans to Nashville watched the
verification process through a window.

Verifying signatures

Crafton said he expects 2 to 4 percent of the signatures will not be
verified. If he is correct, the petition would appear on the November
ballot. Crafton and his supporters must have 10,103 verified
signatures, a figure equaling 10 percent of the voters who
participated in the last general election.

If they do, the English-only measure will be weighed by a city deeply
divided about the issue.

A Web site is selling T-shirts and bumper stickers that say, "Crafton
es un tonto" (Crafton is a fool) next to a picture of a sombrero-
wearing man.

Some of the signed petition cards included messages like "Councilman
Crafton, thank you!" and "Thanks for helping us take our country
back." Others were returned unsigned with obscene messages, including,
"Go (expletive deleted) yourself Crafton."

"There is not a coherent argument among them," said English-only
proponent Jon athan Crisp, former Davidson County Republican Party
chairman.

But Mayor Dean, the Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce, the American
Civil Liberties Union of Tennessee, the Nashville Hispanic Chamber of
Commerce, the Davidson County Democratic Party and others have issued
statements or resolutions condemning the ballot initiative.

The Metro Council also overwhelmingly approved last week a measure
calling on voters not to sign the petition cards or support the
measure if it appears on the ballot.

"As we look to grow existing business and to attract new business,
this affects our ability to do that," said Debby Dale Mason, the
Nashville Area Chamber's chief community action officer. "I know this
has been said before, but this … is not who we are."

The Davidson County Republican Party has not taken an official position.

"There is a pretty strong divide as I am sure there is in the
Democratic Party on this," said Tom Lawless, Davidson County
Republican Party chairman. "So it is probably going to be difficult
for us to take a position as a party."

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080815/NEWS0206/808150410

____________________
Dennis Baron