'Talking while Spanish' on trial in Wichita

Robert Lawless robert.lawless at wichita.edu
Sat Aug 16 22:12:09 UTC 2008

 From today's /Wichita Eagle/:

    PARENTS HAD SUED OVER POLICY

  School prevails in English-only lawsuit

        BY RON SYLVESTER

        The Wichita Eagle

Attorney Ross Hollander and Clara Silva talk to the media on Friday,
August 15, 2008.
<http://media.kansas.com/smedia/2008/08/15/16/276-081508silva_jt1.standalone.prod_affiliate.80.jpg>
Jeff Tuttle/The Wichita Eagle
Attorney Ross Hollander and Clara Silva talk to the media on Friday,
August 15, 2008.
Father Thomas Leland talks to the media on Friday, August 15, 2008.
<http://media.kansas.com/smedia/2008/08/15/16/847-081508silva_jt2.standalone.prod_affiliate.80.jpg>

    Today's most-viewed stories

    * School prevails in English-only lawsuit
      <http://www.kansas.com/213/story/495943.html>
    * Teen critically hurt after being hit by car at party
      <http://www.kansas.com/197/story/496299.html>
    * Latest developments in the Machinists strike
      <http://www.kansas.com/799/story/494740.html>
    * OPINION LINE <http://www.kansas.com/208/story/495759.html>
    * Judge: English-only policy didnt create hostile environment
      <http://www.kansas.com/690/story/495400.html>

A federal judge ruled Friday that a Wichita Catholic school policy
requiring students to speak only English didn't break any civil rights laws.

But U.S. District Judge J. Thomas Marten criticized both sides in the
lawsuit for the way they handled the conflict and characterized St. Anne
Catholic School's implementation of its English-only policy as "one-sided."

"It has divided a school, its church and congregation," Marten said. "It
has divided the Hispanic community in its congregation. And it has
touched a nerve in this community and across the nation."

But Marten said the policy didn't rise to the level of a "hostile
educational environment" -- the legal standard applying to this case --
and denied a request from three Hispanic families to end the practice at
St. Anne.

See <http://www.kansas.com/news/story/495943.html>.