Arizona: Mesa police ditching police codes for plain English

Francis Hult francis.hult at utsa.edu
Sun Aug 17 18:48:56 UTC 2008

AZ Central

Mesa police ditching police codes for plain English

For Mesa police officers, it's back to plain talk.

The day of using codes on police radio channels in Mesa is coming to an end.

In early August, officers and dispatchers began phasing out the use of police codes and simply speaking in plain English.

The main reason for the change is to improve communication with other agencies because other Valley agencies often have different codes than Mesa, Detective Steve Berry said.

"The things we say on the radio in code may be very different and cause confusion and potentially put someone in a hazardous situation, and by going to plain language we hope to reduce that," Berry said.

Full story:

http://www.azcentral.com/community/mesa/articles/2008/08/15/20080815mr-policecodes0816.html