India: Koda tall talks on tribal languages

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 15:53:50 UTC 2008

Koda tall talks on tribal languages - Pledge to form policy in seminar
OUR CORRESPONDENT

Ranchi, Aug. 17: At a time when the future of the government led by
him appears bleak, chief minister Madhu Koda made tall promises for
the betterment of the tribal and regional languages. Appointment of
teachers, policy formation and funding were among the many offers made
by Koda on the occasion. Human resource development minister Bandhu
Tirkey was also present. Speaking at a state-level seminar on "Tribal
and regional language development" organised by art and culture
department at Jharkhand Academic Council (JAC) today, Koda said: "A
society is identified by the language it speaks, and hence, both
tribal and regional languages needed support to evolve."

"Children should be encouraged to learn these languages as early as
possible. Only then the development of the languages will start taking
shape," Koda added. "The government will soon initiate steps to
appoint teachers for tribal and regional languages," Koda said, adding
that the matter would be discussed in a cabinet meet soon. "Based on
the suggestions given by language scholars we can frame a policy and a
roadmap for the languages to evolve," Koda said.  He added that posts
would be created at schools, colleges and university-level to
facilitate appointment of teachers.

"After creation of the state, this is the first time that we have got
an opportunity to explain our views on the tribal language that have
hitherto remained neglected," said Tirkey. He said scholars of tribal
and regional languages should come forward to help the government in
forming a language policy. "There are four regional and five tribal
languages spoken in our state. None of them have got the place they
deserve. Overall development of the state would be possible only when
we start working in our own language," Tirkey said.

Former vice-chancellor of Ranchi University Ram Dayal Munda rued
policy-makers' apathy and asked them to go beyond paper and start
working at the ground-level. "Many seminars have been organised on the
subject in the past. Many resolutions have been passed. But the
languages of the state are still leading the life of orphans," he said
in his keynote address.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1080818/jsp/jharkhand/story_9706907.jsp#