Georgia blocks broadcasts by Russian language TV station

Rusiko Amirejibi-Mullen r.amirejibi-mullen at qmul.ac.uk
Tue Aug 19 18:54:48 UTC 2008

That interview with Lavrov where he obviousely talks specificaly for
the Russians (because nobody else believes what he says) was shown by
all Georgian channeles several times.  I watched it at least 5 times
the same day. Ria novosti as well as all all other Russian new
agencies is serving the Kremlin.

By the way, if anybody wants to know more about the conflict, here are
some materials.

Preliminary Conclusions From The War In Georgia
August 13, 2008
By Andrei Illarionov

It is already possible to outline some theses related to the conflict
between Russia and Georgia.

The war was a spectacular provocation that had been long prepared and
successfully executed by the Russian "siloviki" -- those in government
with connections to the military and security organs -- that almost
entirely repeats in another theater at another time the "incursion of
Basayev into Daghestan" and the beginning of the second Chechnya war
in 1999.
Under the new situation, the idea of legitimizing the de facto loss of
South Ossetia and Abkhazia may gain traction in Georgian society.
Georgia's military losses are greater than Russia's. But Russia's
financial, foreign-policy, and moral losses are greater than Georgia's.
The Russian leadership did not achieve its main goals -- the ouster of
Georgian President Mikhail Saakashvili, a change of the political
regime in Georgia, and Georgia's renunciation of its ambition to join
NATO. In fact, the opposite has occurred.
Russia has been recognized internationally as an aggressor that sent
its military into another UN member state. Georgia has been
internationally acknowledged as a victim of aggression.
Russia is now in nearly complete international isolation. Russia's
intervention in Georgia was backed only by Cuba. Neither Iran, nor
Venezuela, nor Uzbekistan, nor even Belarus has said anything in
support of Russia.
The political Group of Eight has de facto been transformed into a G7.
The series of political defeats suffered by the Russian leadership,
starting with the Rose Revolution in 2003, the Orange Revolution in
Ukraine in 2004 and continuing through the NATO summit in Bucharest in
April, has been extended by a new failure.
The main achievement of the Russian leadership -- which the modern
world could not (or did not want to) believe -- is the resurrection of
fear of the "Russian bear." The world will long remember its fear and
(albeit temporary) helplessness.
Russian citizens, having no access to unofficial sources of
information, found themselves in total informational isolation. The
extent of the manipulation of public opinion and the extent to which
society was brought to a state of mass hysteria are clear achievements
of the regime and present an indubitable and unprecedented threat to
Russian society.
An institutional catastrophe in Russia -- which has already been much
discussed -- is continuing before our eyes. The main -- but not the
only -- victims of this catastrophe are the citizens of Russia.
The war has revealed the real faces of the so-called liberals and
democrats in Russia, people who once criticized "post-imperial
syndrome" but who hurried to rally to the authorities once the
fighting began and who urged "onward to Tbilisi," and who are calling
for bolstering the organs of the siloviki.
The only public organization in Russia whose members have been able to
formulate diverse positions on the war -- many of which I disagree
with on principle -- is the National Assembly. By doing so, even
during a time of crisis, the assembly demonstrated that at the present
time it is the best structure to fill the role of proto-parliament.
The war once again confirmed the correctness of the most important
principles of the moral conduct of Russian citizens in relation to the
current authorities in the country: Don't believe. Don't fear. Don't
ask. And don't cooperate.