LPGA Tour will suspend memberships if players don't learn English

Dennis Baron debaron at illinois.edu
Tue Aug 26 17:21:56 UTC 2008

Tuesday, August 26, 2008
Report: LPGA Tour will suspend memberships if players don't learn
English
ESPN.com news services

The LPGA will require its member golfers to learn and speak English
and will suspend their membership if they don't comply, Golfweek
reported on its Web site.

According to the report, the new requirement was communicated to the
tour's growing South Korean membership in a mandatory meeting at the
Safeway Classic in Portland, Ore., on Aug. 20.

Se Ri Pak, one of the most prominent South Korean golfers on the LPGA
Tour, says players should be fined, rather than suspended, for not
meeting the tour's new English proficiency requirement.

Players were told by LPGA commissioner Carolyn Bivens that by the end
of 2009, all players who have been on the tour for two years must pass
an oral evaluation of their English skills or face a membership
suspension. A written explanation of the policy was not given to
players, according to the report.

"Hopefully what we're talking about is something that will not
happen," Libba Galloway, the tour's deputy commissioner, said of the
potential for suspensions, according to Golfweek. "If it does, we
wouldn't just say, 'Come back next year.' What we would do is work
with them on where they fell short, provide them the resources they
need, the tutoring … and when we feel like they need to be evaluated
again, we would evaluate."

Every Korean player who spoke with Golfweek about the meeting came
away with the understanding she would lose her tour card if she failed
the test rather than face suspension, according to the report. But
Korean players who spoke about the policy supported the tour's
position, though some, including Se Ri Pak, felt fines would be better
than suspensions.

"We agree we should speak some English," Pak said, according to the
report. "We play so good overall. When you win, you should give your
speech in English."

Betsy Clark, the LPGA's vice president of professional development,
said a team of evaluators will assess players on communication skills
including conversation, everyday survival phrases and "golfspeak."
Players must be able to conduct interviews and give acceptance
speeches without the help of a translator, she said, according to the
report.

Galloway said the policy takes effect immediately, but that players'
English proficiency would not be measured until the end of 2009,
according to the report. The LPGA's membership includes 121
international players from 26 countries; 45 are South Koreans.

"This should be a priority in their professional development just the
way working on their short game is a priority," Galloway said,
according to Golfweek. "We just wanted to be clear about our
expectations."

Angela Park, a Korean-American who was born in Brazil and speaks three
languages, said it's difficult to "come to a foreign country and be
yourself." She also supports the rule and says it's fair, according to
the report.

"The LPGA could come out and say they only want 10 Koreans, but
they're not," Park said, according to Golfweek. "A lot of Korean
players think they are being targeted, but it's just because there are
so many of them."

And Seon-Hwa Lee, who said she is working with an English tutor during
the offseason and plans to brush up for the evaluation, thinks
everyone "can do a simple interview," according to the report. Her
ability to answer questions without a translator has improved during
her time on the tour.

"The economy is bad, and we are losing sponsors," she said, according
to the report. "Everybody understands."
____________________
Dennis Baron
Professor of English and Linguistics