LPGA's mandatory English policy not sitting well with EP golfers

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 15:17:59 UTC 2008

By ABC-7 Reporter Darren Hunt

EL PASO -- The Ladies Professional Golf Association (LPGA) has become
the first major sports association to force all of its players to
speak English. The mandatory policy is set to begin at the end of next
year and not everyone in El Paso agrees with it.  "I can't speak
English very well," said El Pasoan Sue Young.  It's a good thing she's
not playing in the LPGA because her inability to speak English would
get her suspended next year.
Libba Galloway, the LPGA Deputy Commissioner, believes players who do
not speak English cannot communicate effectively with the those who
follow the sport.

"What we're doing is making clear to our current and future members
the importance of effectively communicating with our core audience,
our fans, our sponsors and the media," she said. The new policy has
landed Galloway on the hot seat. The majority of El Paso golfers at
the Lone Star Golf club in the East side told ABC-7 they don't agree
with her. "I don't agree with that because golf is an international
sport and players are from all countries," said Bobby Morris, a
resident of the West Side. "If they qualify to play, let em play
without speaking English ... they can play and speak whatever their
native language is."

Several other golfers gathered at the clubhouse as the new policy was
being debated on national television. Sal Rodriguez, a golfer from the
East Side, said he understands how the LPGA has to improve the
relationship between players, fans and sponsors.  Still, he disagrees
with the policy. "All businesses want to make money -- but by the same
token -- these people that play golf, they're good golfers."

http://www.kvia.com/Global/story.asp?S=8912469