Sounds like Greek to me

Ronald Kephart rkephart at unf.edu
Fri Dec 12 22:42:09 UTC 2008

On 12/12/08 2:02 PM, "Lynn Goldstein" <lgoldstein at miis.edu> wrote:

> I am quite interested in folk linguistics and  I strongly believe that
> these types of statements and beliefs , while subjective, have great
> linguistic/scientific merit. Understanding and describing people's folk
> views  should be an essential part of linguistics.

Yes, I was unclear. I didn't mean that the attitudes and evaluations of
language don't have merit as objects of study in and of themselves. I only
meant that they do not have merit as scientific evaluations of language. And
I do think that it's important that our students know this. I teach an intro
class for mostly English Lit and Ed majors, and I spend a lot of time on
this issue.

I especially hope you'll share whatever you discover about folk views of
AAVE.

Ron