Sounds like Greek to me

Lynn Goldstein lgoldstein at miis.edu
Sat Dec 13 00:50:11 UTC 2008

lgpolicy-list at ccat.sas.upenn.edu writes:
>On 12/12/08 2:02 PM, "Lynn Goldstein" <lgoldstein at miis.edu> wrote:
>
>> I am quite interested in folk linguistics and  I strongly believe that
>> these types of statements and beliefs , while subjective, have great
>> linguistic/scientific merit. Understanding and describing people's folk
>> views  should be an essential part of linguistics.
>
>Yes, I was unclear. I didn't mean that the attitudes and evaluations of
>language don't have merit as objects of study in and of themselves. I only
>meant that they do not have merit as scientific evaluations of language.
>And
>I do think that it's important that our students know this. I teach an
>intro
>class for mostly English Lit and Ed majors, and I spend a lot of time on
>this issue.
>
>I especially hope you'll share whatever you discover about folk views of
>AAVE.
>
>Ron

Ron,

Below I've pasted in a chart from one of my presentations I did on the
Oakland Tribune's coverage ( I didn't  want to send an attachment to the
list but would be happy to send the WORD document to you directly if you
would like).    In this  part of the study I was looking at how different
groups described  AAVE and its history( the descriptors were taken   from
quotes and paraphrases in the Oakland Tribune starting from  when the
media began reporting the Oakland Ebonics Resolution and going for a full
year after).

Lynn

[Image:121208_43145_0.jpg]

[Image:121208_44645_7.jpg]