Sounds like Greek to me

Anthea Fraser Gupta A.F.Gupta at leeds.ac.uk
Sat Dec 13 12:27:10 UTC 2008

>I especially hope you'll share whatever you discover about folk views of
>AAVE.

You might also look at some of the truly bizarre ideas about US English that can be found in the UK and that we have to correct in our students. Such as (not all of these are compatible, of course) ....

1. Many of them have read 'Beloved' as part of the school syllabus. Some of them think that this is standard American English. Others think that it is what Black Americans write because they can't get Standard right. Oh dear.

2. 'Standard English' is only found in Britain (at one point this was the definition on the school syllabus for England and Wales!).

3. American Standard English is VERY different from British Standard English (NB (1)). I counter this by referring to whatever are popular US TV programmes (CSI, Friends, Sex and the City. The Wire). Some students believe that these have been adapted for international distribution because they believe that they are not in American English (as they are so similar to BrE and as they can understand them so easily).

4. US spelling is very different from British spelling, e.g. nite, thru, gonna. It is hard to convince them that these are informal spellings all over the world.

5. Americans have a strong drawl and speak nasally.

6. Texas is the typically US accent.

7. All Afro-Americans speak AAVE all the time (see (1)). The new president may change this one. We are planning on setting assignments comparing his style with his predecessor's!

Anthea

Anthea Fraser Gupta (Dr)
School of English, University of Leeds, LS2 9JT <www.leeds.ac.uk/english/staff/afg>
NB: Reply to a.f.gupta at leeds.ac.uk