Kenya set to have its first ever cultural policy

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 15:38:08 UTC 2008

Kenya's first cultural policy rolls out soon

By COSMAS BUTUNYI   Posted Sunday, December 28 2008 at 19:07

Kenya is set to have its first ever cultural policy, the director of
culture, Mr Silverse Anami, has said. The policy has already been
presented to Cabinet and approved, Mr Anami said. This is the first
one the country has had since it attained independence.
"This policy will give impetus for revival, protection, development
and promotion of our culture," he added. Mr Anami said that there can
be no development in the country without regard for culture, adding
that it was an important pillar for the country's attainment of
national development goals such as Vision 2030.

"Culture is central to our socio-economic development," he added. He
said that the policy's implementation plan had already been prepared
and would be presented before the Cabinet next year for approval.
This, he said, would pave the way for its inclusion in all development
plans of the country. The director said that cultural heritage is a
major resource that communities have and can use to map the way
forward. "We need to use our cultural diversity to build peace and
promote dialogue in the country," he said.

Mr Anami was speaking at Mbale Municipal Grounds during the Vihiga
Cultural Festival. The chief guest at the fete was Prime Minister
Raila Odinga. Mr Odinga said that there was need to preserve African
cultures, which were under threat of erosion. "If we do not teach our
children our language and culture, we will be raising a generation
without a foundation," he added. He said that it is the different
cultures of the 42 ethnic communities that make up the Kenyan culture.

A football match between AFC Leopards and Sabatia Combined at
Chavakali High School crowned the festival.

-- http://www.nation.co.ke/News/regional/-/1070/507776/-/70868r/-/