Korea: Inadequate Public English Education

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 14:57:15 UTC 2008

   01-30-2008 18:26

[Student Corner] Inadequate Public English Education

Kim Yea-lhim
By Kim Yea-lhim

The presidential transition team has presented an English immersion
education policy, since high school graduates who have learned English
for over six years typically lack English-speaking skills. As a Korean
citizen having gone through the Korean education system, I can¡¯t
agree more with the firm will of President-elect Lee Myung-bak to
strengthen English education. Under the slogan of globalization,
English proficiency has become an important skill. However, inadequate
English-language education creates various problems, including tons of
money poured into private institutes, so-called ``goose fathers¡±
sending their wives and children to English-speaking countries and
unqualified foreign tutors.

It seems that the most serious side effect is the income disparity
between the haves and have-nots reflected in the education each
student receives. I attended a foreign-language high school in Seoul
and saw a number of students with good English proficiency, especially
in speaking. What surprised me was that many of them had never set
foot in an English-speaking country. Like many, I held a prejudice
that only those who lived abroad could speak good English. In fact,
their competence resulted from much expensive private tutoring. On the
other hand, students who couldn¡¯t benefit from such lavish education
fared less well. The gap between them couldn¡¯t be narrowed in 3
years.

It is because speaking English is difficult to master through school
classes and a student¡¯s efforts, unlike other subjects. The new
policy will certainly improve the quality of public English education
and give people a better chance to learn English. However, there is
skepticism regarding the new policy among teachers and parents. Some
warn that there may not be a sufficient supply of teachers to lecture
in English, while others dread that it may lead to a waste of
taxpayers¡¯ money if it is not carried out properly. I partly disagree
with the new English ability test required for college admission. The
new education plan may improve the overall proficiency of the students
but there will still be gaps among students that public education
won¡¯t help.

Letting it affect college admission will only force students to rely
more on private tutoring, which is what people fear most. The English
test should be limited to showing if the student has enough ability to
communicate and take classes in college. English-only classes will be
sufficient if carried out as intended. Voices of worry always follow
reform. We are all conscious of the necessity of reform in English
education and the new plan is needed.  People have been demanding
equal access to education and the new government is seeking a way to
enhance its overall quality. There may be a few logistical problems,
such as hiring qualified teachers. I believe there will be a
satisfactory outcome if the new government gradually sorts this out.

tuty123 at naver.com

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/special/2008/02/139_18218.html