Korea: Read Aloud in English 20 Minutes a Day

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 16:47:55 UTC 2008

   02-04-2008 17:44

Read Aloud in English 20 Minutes a Day

By Kim See-bong

Language is an art. Art requires theory and practice. As far as second
language teaching is concerned, practice comes first in importance. No
matter how much of an expert you are in theory, it's nothing without
practice. Linguistic efficiency results from practice. Our chronic
problem of teaching English is further being complicated under the
in-coming government. They say they will solve the national English
education problem by making secondary schools teach other subjects,
other than English, in English.
Their aim is, allegedly, to help secondary school students master
English and be sufficient in the language by the time they leave
school.

What a wonderful idea it is! But it is too idealistic. Who invented
such a hare-brained and off-the-cuff policy? Language is an art like
carpentry so we must teach the art slowly, and one should not forget
the ancient Korean saying, ``no matter how much of a hurry you are in,
you cannot just tie thread around the shaft of the needle.''

A carpenter must have a certain level of skill to make a desk. The
skill can be acquired only by practice.

The level of English required to teach other subjects in English
should be almost as high as that of a native speaker. With the
achievement of such English skills, the nation would not need to be
concerned about English.

First of all, where can you find such competent teachers? Do you think
you can train them within the time length you have in mind? And what
about the students? The idea the new government is proposing is
preposterous.

At this juncture in order to prevent a tumultuous fiasco, there's one
thing I want to make clear. English teaching is thought about too much
in terms of theory.

The continuous emphasis on theory will only lead to theory without
practice, like learning the skill of carpentry without the practice.

In our country too much emphasis is put on the theoretical aspect, so
the principal method of teaching is the deciphering of the language
and explaining why it makes sense.

I would like to share a helpful tip from my experience with languages
with the policy makers of the new government. Read aloud in English 20
minutes a day, if possible, make it the first thing you say in the
morning. I recommend reading the same thing aloud repeatedly until you
memorize it.

I started with a textbook that I was studying that year, and after one
year I found that I had memorized the lessons in the book. In my
second year of high school I continued this method with the New
Testament, specializing in a few gospels that I liked. I almost
committed them to memory.

Dear policymakers, why not propose a nationwide read-aloud-campaign.
What is more important is not how you teach or who teaches English,
but how English is studied.

The writer is principal of Polyglot Day School in Bundang, Gyeonggi
Province. He can be reached at glsacademy at dreamwiz.com.

 http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/opinon/2008/02/137_18470.html