'Status' drives extinction of languages

Dennis Baron debaron at uiuc.edu
Thu Feb 14 17:56:04 UTC 2008

This four-year-old article, by Daniel M. Abrams and Steven H.
Strogatz, "Modelling the dynamics of language death," Nature 424,
Aug. 21, 2003, p. 900, is written by two members of Cornell's Dept.
of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, and makes some "interesting"
assumptions:

1. they posit a highly connected population, with no spatial or
social structure, in which all speakers are monolingual
2. that the attractiveness of a language increases with both its
numbers and its perceived status
3. that no one will adopt a language that has no speakers (do they
actually have to say this because they're engineers?)

And they conclude:

"The model therefore predicts that two languages cannot coexist
stably -- one will eventually drive the other to extinction."  (They
also do admit that bilingualism can exist.)

To reverse declining language use, they recommend "policy-making,
education and advertising, in esssence increasing an endangered
language's status."

I am certainly relieved that reversing language death is so simple
that it can be reduced to calculus and a graph, but am concerned that
the model predicts an eventual return to a pre-Babel linguistic state
(is this how creationism works in linguistics? perhaps we should just
make English the official world language and be done with it).

Anyway, more to come later, as you might expect . . .

Dennis

Dennis Baron
Professor of English and Linguistics
Department of English