'Status' drives extinction of languages

Christina Paulston paulston+ at pitt.edu
Thu Feb 14 18:40:20 UTC 2008

Well, if you are going to talk about status and lge shift, you must
make sure that you have the possibility of upward social mobility.  In
a caste like social organization with ascribed status, status is not
going to bring about shift.  According to (what I think is one of the
brightest sociolinguists around) Annamalai  And I wonder if something
of the same thing may not be going on in cases of Ferguson's classic
diglossia where you get lge maintenance beyond what you would expect.
But I seem to have missed the article you are discussing.  Could
someone forward me a copy, please