Wales: Language target

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 14:02:17 UTC 2008

Language target

SIR – In his forward to the 2006-07 report on the Welsh Assembly
Government's Iaith Pawb-National Language Policy, Bridgend AM Carwyn
Jones pledges his full commitment to its aims of ensuring the Welsh
language is supported and given the right environment to flourish in
order to create a bilingual Wales. He also concurs that education is
vital for the futureof the language. Whilst many areas are mentioned
as having received funding for initiatives, there appears to be little
or no specific mention of Bridgend; surely a prime target being a
predominantly English-speaking area. One can't help but wonder
therefore how committed Mr Jones is to supporting the young Welsh
learners of his own area, particularly with regard to the proposed new
Welsh school in Maesteg.

We've heard the argument that schools are funded retrospectively, but
these young people cannot be educated retrospectively.Given the unique
circumstances of the school, it would be gratifying to think that the
Assembly valued it as highly as it does the Millennium Centre or the
Botanical Gardens. After all, if the Assembly Government succeeds in
its application to Westminster for more control over the language law,
more businesses will be required to provide a bilingual service. We've
heard enough negative political rhetoric – can we please now have some
positive dialogue on what you have done? Or is the timing wrong and
this to be yet another case of putting politics before people?

I'd also be interested to know how satisfied Plaid supporters are with
the somewhat muted representation by their elected Assembly Members.

CAROL DAVIES

Duffryn, Pencoed, Bridgend

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/news/letters-to-the-editor/western-mail-letters/2008/02/23/saturday-23-february-2008-91466-20513712/