IYL '08: Moratorium on beating kids for speaking mother tongue?

Stan & Sandy Anonby stan-sandy_anonby at sil.org
Thu Jan 3 14:40:14 UTC 2008

Happy New Year, Don.

It certainly is reprehensible to beat kids for speaking their language and I'm glad the practice is on the wane.

I too have heard a lot of stories from several parts of the world about this. Although it would seem logical that this would stop people from speaking their language, I wonder if there is any actual evidence. When I lived in Canada, I heard this story a lot. What struck me was that almost everyone who had been beaten still spoke Kwak'wala, while those from a later generation, who were not beaten spoke only English. I realize this isn't great evidence, but still I wonder if having a clear enemy might help keep a language. I think sometimes you can kill a language with kindness quicker than with beatings.

Have a good year,

Stan