book notice: Ad Infinitum: a Biography of Latin

Nicholas Ostler nostler at chibcha.demon.co.uk
Fri Jan 4 23:19:54 UTC 2008

Dear Ron, Hal

Nice to see a review of my book kicking up some dust!

Perhaps 2500 years of history is bound to kick up clouds of ironies, but
I can't help noting that it took Western Europe about 1500 years (say
from Varro to Nebrija) to work out that the metalinguistic concepts
elaborated for Greek (and very quickly generalized to Latin) might in
fact be applied to any language. So the basis for Ron's plaint that
'people used to get the basis of language-learning from their Latin
classes' has only been true for the last five centuries at most, until
the notorious 1960s undid - or replaced - the basis of our traditional
learning.

Before 1500, every educated person had those concepts in the back of
his/her mind, but the few who learnt foreign languages don't seem to
have noticed that they could be applied. (Possibly this was because
those foreign languages had no official standards, and so were
necessarily seen as rough and ready.) The communicative method is
certainly not new: in fact, informally, it predates 'grammar-translation'.

The first official grammar of a European language was Nebrija's of
Castilian Spanish in 1492, and after that grammars of European languages
came thick and fast. (In fact, J. Barton had produced a 'French Donatus'
in 1409 to help Englishmen learn French, and L.B. Alberti had written
Regole della lingua fiorentina ca 1437-41.) [These details are all from
Sylvain Auroux's marvellous 'la revolution technologique de la
grammatisation' Liege, Mardaga 1994.] And language teaching was one
explicit goal of these works from the first.

In principle, the scholars bilingual in Arabic and Italian/Spanish,
mostly working in tandem with Latin scholars, who kicked off the
Aristotelian revolution in the 12th-13th centuries should have had a
sense that Arabic too was a grammatical language, since Sibawayhi, its
great grammarian, had been an 8th-century scholar. But their work or
influence doesn't seem to have led to any widening of European minds on
where to look for the application of grammar.

It is certainly another irony, this time of the 20th century, that
learning rules was seen as being in opposition to learning to
communicate - precisely when Chomsky's revolution in linguistics was
emphasizing that all language was rule-governed behaviour, and not just
de facto, but intrinsically, and because without the rules any language
would be unlearnable!

Nicholas

--
Nicholas Ostler

Chairman, Foundation for Endangered Languages
Registered Charity: England and Wales 1070616
172 Bailbrook Lane, Bath, BA1 7AA, England
nostler at chibcha.demon.co.uk
http://www.ogmios.org