Florida: legislature considers reduction in ESOL training for reading teachers

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 15:53:23 UTC 2008

January 18, 2008
Some thoughts on SB 286

Guest blogger Rosa Castro Feinberg, retired Florida International
associate professor and chairwoman of the LULAC Florida Education
Advisory Committee, writes her views as the Legislature considers a
bill to reduce ESOL training for reading teachers:

"Senate Bill 0286 would harm English language learners by eliminating
the requirement that Reading teachers earn the 300 hour endorsement in
ESOL when they are assigned English language learners. Instead, the
bill would slash the requirement to a mere 60 hours of training. The
truthfulness of this statement is not a function of my motivation, my
income, or its sources. Had I earned millions from the sale of my
products or services to school districts, it would be in keeping with
the country's tradition of private enterprise that honors the profit
motive. Witness the appointment of the CEO of Academica Corporation, a
for-profit charter management company, as chair of Florida's Charter
School Review Panel. Evidently the state of Florida finds nothing
improper about offering policy advice in an area where you also make
money.

Nevertheless, supporters of this bill have alleged that there is
something sinister afoot when experts in the fields of second language
learning and policy development publish their research and serve as
consultants. Their carping fails to take into account the duties of
higher education faculty. Faculty members have three areas of
responsibility: teaching, service to their institution, the
profession, and the community; and research and publications. Faculty
members must document their activities in these three areas, are
evaluated in these three areas, and receive recognition and awards on
the basis of their accomplishments in these three areas. Academics who
don't publish risk loss of employment. State law (Florida's School
Community Professional Development Act) specifically directs public
postsecondary educational institutions to work collaboratively with
school districts to establish a coordinated system of professional
development.  Of course we publish, and of course, we consult. We're
supposed to.

In my own case, I have not earned so much as one cent from school
districts in consulting fees or from the sale of materials for ESOL
in-service training. I have never published a textbook for K-12
students.  My articles don't generate royalties as that is not the
practice among peer reviewed journals. My most recent royalty
generating book is a reference book and is freely available in public
and college libraries. Many of my publications are available, at no
cost, at libraries and through internet sources. I began phased
retirement in 1996. I don't receive a salary from any source. I am not
paid for my advocacy activities from any source.

I return to the issue. Senate Bill 0286 would harm English language
learners by eliminating the requirement that Reading teachers earn the
300 hour endorsement in ESOL when they are assigned English language
learners. Instead, the bill would slash the requirement to a mere 60
hours of training.  Those who would dispute that statement must first
address it. Those who cannot, and choose instead to go on witch hunts
while cravenly cloaked in anonymity only help to make the case
presented so effectively by parents, teachers, and community groups
that Governor Crist vetoed this same bill last session.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/schools/2008/01/some-thoughts-o.html