Korea: Asians May Get Teaching Visas

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 14:46:12 UTC 2008

Forwarded From edling at lists.sis.utsa.edu

The Korea Times

Asians May Get Teaching Visas

President-elect Lee Myung-bak's power transition team is considering issuing
English teaching visa to Asians whose countries have English as an official
language. The team's officials acknowledged a flaw in the current visa
regulation that issues English teaching, or E-2 visas according to
nationality. Authorities allow English teaching visas only to native-English
speakers from the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New
Zealand, South Africa and Ireland. ``Not all native English speakers can
teach English well. So we should give visas only to qualified and verified
English teachers,'' Jung Dong-ki, the team's legal affairs head told The
Korea Times. ``We will carefully consider revising the regulation because
visa issuance should be based on qualification rather than nationality.''

Full story:

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2008/01/113_17682.html

sponsor of
the list as to the veracity of a message's contents. Members who disagree
with a